UPDATE: Charlie Manuel suspended for a game

May 18, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel Getty Images

UPDATE: I think I got that wrong. USA Today is reporting that Manuel was suspended for a run-in with C.B. Bucknor, not the Bob Davidson thing.  I had the dates wrong and made a bad assumption. Apologies.

12:03 PM: One step forward, two steps back.  While Bob Davidson was suspended for his run-in with Charlie Manuel, Manuel got a game suspension too:

Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has received a one-game suspension stemming from the on-field incident in the top of the eighth inning of Philadelphia’s Tuesday, May 15th game against the Houston Astros at Citizens Bank Park.

Weak. Yes, Manuel barked something from the dugout, but that happens all the damn time. At most you see a manager ejected for it (that was a Bobby Cox special on hot days when he didn’t want to leave the shade).  But everything after whatever Manuel said was instigated by Davidson.

One wonders if the umpires union or whoever made a big fuss about things and said “if you’re going to suspend Davidson, you gotta suspend Manuel too!”  Whatever the case, though, this was not an instance that, in my mind anyway, called for equal punishment.

1. sictransitchris - May 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

2. crackerjack1 - May 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

FYI, he was probably ejected because the bill of his cap touched Davidson’s forehead about 3 times. Even the Philly announcers were saying he would probably get suspended for that.

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Want to borrow Brett Lawrie for a day?

• wendell7 - May 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Maybe just his batting helmet …

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

OK! He will not be using it this weekend.

• delawarephilliesfan - May 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thats excatly what I was thinking too at the time. He probably would not have been suspended but for that. It’s a shame becuase Davidson was WAY out of line…..

• kingkaufman - May 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

That was the first thing I noticed when I watched the video of that argument. Not that Manuel jabbed Davidson with his cap bill, but that Davidson let Manual get his cap bill lower than Davidson’s. I thought that was Umpiring 101: In a nose to nose, always make sure your cap bill is lower, so the player/manager can’t flip your hat off with his and make you look silly.

• heyblueyoustink - May 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Since you offered, can we borrow Lawrie for the season?

• proudlycanadian - May 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM

No. The offer is only good through Sunday inclusive.

• jimw81 - May 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

i hate the phillies tv announcers. I have the game on mute and listen to franzkie and Anderson on radio for every game.

• sasquash20 - May 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I agree that SF and LA are way better, but hate is a strong word. Even when talking about Wheels

3. crackerjack1 - May 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

*not ejected, I meant suspended

4. The Dangerous Mabry - May 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The league probably also wants to send the message that while umpires may be suspended for inappropriate behavior, they don’t want managers to start trying to bait them into it.

Not that I’m saying Charlie did, they may just be trying to set a precedent. Kind of like how when a batter gets hit by a pitch, they warn both dugouts, even though the team who just got hit hadn’t done anything wrong.

5. Jonny 5 - May 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I thought Charlie was going to exact his own punishment on Davidson. Or was it wishful think? Hmmmm?

• CJ - May 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Next time Davidson calls a Phils game with Cole in the mound, they were going to handle it. Old school style.

• dennisund - May 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

“Chooch never misses those. I don’t know how that ball sailed through to Davidson’s groin.”

6. Extraneous Ed - May 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I don’t understand how the Umpires Union is so strong. What are they going to do, walk off the job? Quit?

• CJ - May 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

No idea. I’d dare them to. It’d be easy to find replacements for the field, and announce you’re bringing in the robots to call balls and strikes. I guarantee you you’ll never see the Joe Wests of the world move faster in your entire life.

7. bigleagues - May 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Baby steps, Craig. Baby steps.

8. delawarephilliesfan - May 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

USA Today is reporting that Charlie was suspended for arguing with CB Bucknor, NOT for thsi incident:

Manuel was suspended today for “aggressive arguing and inappropriate contact” with umpire CB Bucknor on Tuesday and fined an undisclosed amount.

• delawarephilliesfan - May 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Though in re-reading the post, I do see Craig did not say it was for the Davidson incident, more that it was a generall quid pro quo

9. markcycy - May 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

i always worry about Charlie when he gets fired up………….

10. mungman69 - May 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yes, just how strong is this umpires union? How many members do they have? 200?, 300?
    No one goes to a game to watch the umpires ump. Why must they be part of the entertainment?

11. Gobias Industries - May 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

“UPDATE: I think I got that wrong…Apologies.” Somewhere in central Ohio there are a classroom full of heartbroken middle school children. And not just because they live in central Ohio. You let them down, man. You let them down.

12. irreverendsara - May 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Craig, I don’t think you were mistaken at all–I think USA Today is mistaking. Bucknor was not umping that game. Box score shows HP: Bob Davidson. 1B: Hunter Wendelstedt. 2B: Dan Bellino. 3B: Jerry Layne. If you click the link that the USA Today article includes about the incident with Bucknor, it is from 2010. I think the USA Today got lazy, and probably made an assumption that it was Bucknor. Can’t blame him for assuming that, though, since Bucknor is awful, too.

13. irreverendsara - May 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

*not “mistaking”. Mistaken. Another vote for an edit feature.

14. irreverendsara - May 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

And now USA Today has corrected the article.

15. chaseutley - May 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Can we call up Ryne Sandberg to replace him?

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act