May 18, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: I think I got that wrong. USA Today is reporting that Manuel was suspended for a run-in with C.B. Bucknor, not the Bob Davidson thing. I had the dates wrong and made a bad assumption. Apologies.
12:03 PM: One step forward, two steps back. While Bob Davidson was suspended for his run-in with Charlie Manuel, Manuel got a game suspension too:
Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has received a one-game suspension stemming from the on-field incident in the top of the eighth inning of Philadelphia’s Tuesday, May 15th game against the Houston Astros at Citizens Bank Park.
Weak. Yes, Manuel barked something from the dugout, but that happens all the damn time. At most you see a manager ejected for it (that was a Bobby Cox special on hot days when he didn’t want to leave the shade). But everything after whatever Manuel said was instigated by Davidson.
One wonders if the umpires union or whoever made a big fuss about things and said “if you’re going to suspend Davidson, you gotta suspend Manuel too!” Whatever the case, though, this was not an instance that, in my mind anyway, called for equal punishment.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)