May 18, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: I think I got that wrong. USA Today is reporting that Manuel was suspended for a run-in with C.B. Bucknor, not the Bob Davidson thing. I had the dates wrong and made a bad assumption. Apologies.
12:03 PM: One step forward, two steps back. While Bob Davidson was suspended for his run-in with Charlie Manuel, Manuel got a game suspension too:
Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has received a one-game suspension stemming from the on-field incident in the top of the eighth inning of Philadelphia’s Tuesday, May 15th game against the Houston Astros at Citizens Bank Park.
Weak. Yes, Manuel barked something from the dugout, but that happens all the damn time. At most you see a manager ejected for it (that was a Bobby Cox special on hot days when he didn’t want to leave the shade). But everything after whatever Manuel said was instigated by Davidson.
One wonders if the umpires union or whoever made a big fuss about things and said “if you’re going to suspend Davidson, you gotta suspend Manuel too!” Whatever the case, though, this was not an instance that, in my mind anyway, called for equal punishment.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)