May 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
This morning we linked a story in which the reporter paraphrased — but did not directly quote — Whitey Herzog as saying that he tanked games as manager of the Cardinals when his team was already out of the playoff race for purposes of improving draft position.
Quite the claim! But is it true?
The Common Man is on the case, and by analyzing Herzog’s late season moves in non-contending seasons with the Cardinals, he finds there to be no evidence of Herzog tanking games whatsoever.
It’s a good, thorough analysis of it all, so it’s well worth your time.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)