May 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
This morning we linked a story in which the reporter paraphrased — but did not directly quote — Whitey Herzog as saying that he tanked games as manager of the Cardinals when his team was already out of the playoff race for purposes of improving draft position.
Quite the claim! But is it true?
The Common Man is on the case, and by analyzing Herzog’s late season moves in non-contending seasons with the Cardinals, he finds there to be no evidence of Herzog tanking games whatsoever.
It’s a good, thorough analysis of it all, so it’s well worth your time.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8