May 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
This morning we linked a story in which the reporter paraphrased — but did not directly quote — Whitey Herzog as saying that he tanked games as manager of the Cardinals when his team was already out of the playoff race for purposes of improving draft position.
Quite the claim! But is it true?
The Common Man is on the case, and by analyzing Herzog’s late season moves in non-contending seasons with the Cardinals, he finds there to be no evidence of Herzog tanking games whatsoever.
It’s a good, thorough analysis of it all, so it’s well worth your time.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)