May 18, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog spoke to a group of folks yesterday and when he did so he ripped Bud Selig and the expanded playoffs:
“Look at what baseball has become, with interleague play and unbalanced schedules,” said Herzog, who led seven teams to the playoffs and had two others finish second … So now the Commissioner is trying to come out with a knockout game. The reason he is doing that is to get one more game you can see for $10 million,” Herzog said.
That’s not wrong. But it’s also not the most controversial thing he said. This is the reporter paraphrasing him:
At one point, Herzog admitted that, had the new format been in place when he managed, he might have tried harder to finish second.
Three of his teams finished third, and Herzog said he sometimes managed to finish third on purpose, not second place, as a way to improve draft-day positioning the next season.
Well OK, then. But yes, it is Selig who is harming competitiveness on the field.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:58 PM EDT
A’s left fielder Coco Crisp has been bothered by discomfort in the middle of his right arm for much of spring training, limiting him to seven Cactus League games. And the injury isn’t getting any better.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
Is the fun over in Cincy?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have acquired right-handed starter Erasmo Ramirez from the Mariners in exchange for left-hander Mike Montgomery.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Gregerson figured to get the job after signing a three-year, $18.5 million free agent contract with Houston in early December and he pitched well enough this spring to fend off any potential competition.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
The 20-year-old right-hander announced the news on his Twitter account Tuesday …
Mar 31, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Baseball is not dying.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com shares the news …
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League appearance Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was officially declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Lefties never die. But Mijares is going to have a harder time now.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling when his team appears to be destined for last place?
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“Sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly.”
Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Nice little loophole.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
WIll this man be smiling in October?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez appeared in 80 games for the Mariners last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s supposedly just an arm cramp, but Brad Ausmus isn’t ruling out the DL.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A long-overdue measure will, apparently, soon be in place.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Wright had a rough spring, allowing 11 runs in eight appearances.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
With this team, they’ll need it.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Petricka saved 14 games with a 2.96 ERA and 55/33 K/BB ratio in 73 innings last season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)