May 18, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog spoke to a group of folks yesterday and when he did so he ripped Bud Selig and the expanded playoffs:
“Look at what baseball has become, with interleague play and unbalanced schedules,” said Herzog, who led seven teams to the playoffs and had two others finish second … So now the Commissioner is trying to come out with a knockout game. The reason he is doing that is to get one more game you can see for $10 million,” Herzog said.
That’s not wrong. But it’s also not the most controversial thing he said. This is the reporter paraphrasing him:
At one point, Herzog admitted that, had the new format been in place when he managed, he might have tried harder to finish second.
Three of his teams finished third, and Herzog said he sometimes managed to finish third on purpose, not second place, as a way to improve draft-day positioning the next season.
Well OK, then. But yes, it is Selig who is harming competitiveness on the field.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Hyun-Jin Ryu will return to the Dodgers’ rotation on Sunday after recovering from a strained glute.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Eric Campbell stole home against the Phillies, helping the Mets improve to 12-5 against their NL East rival this season.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
The injury-ravaged Rangers managed to tie a major league record for all the wrong reasons when they called up Ryan Rua from Triple-A on Friday.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
A day after Bruce Chen allowed six runs in the 10th inning of the Royals’ loss to the Twins on Thursday, the Royals designated the lefty for assignment.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
The Mariners have ended Jesus Montero’s season so he can address his “non-baseball issues”, a day after he went after a scout who was heckling him.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Mets could be without Daniel Murphy for most or all of the rest of the season, as the second baseman deals with a strained right calf.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Joey Votto hasn’t been progressing as well from his quad injury as the Reds would have liked.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
He’s in the lineup tonight, batting sixth against the Cubs.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Whether this will turn into a Michael Young situation or a Derek Jeter situation is an open question.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Sad news for a once-great reliever.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
No doctor appointments are scheduled as a result, but soreness is not great news.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
If you’re going to make the same arguments for him you did the past two years, you may want to re-think things.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
There can be only THREE!! True outcomes, that is.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Which is the right thing to do.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Never mind that the dude has only been legally allowed inside a bar for about two years.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The plot thickens. And becomes creamier. And is spread nicely between some two thin, chocolate cakes.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
It’s a bit early for this, of course.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Could one or both of them be gone before the 2015 season begins?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Afterwards, the pitching machine talked about wanting to work on his offspeed stuff because all big league hitters can turn on a fastball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
An addendum to yesterday’s post.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)