May 18, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog spoke to a group of folks yesterday and when he did so he ripped Bud Selig and the expanded playoffs:
“Look at what baseball has become, with interleague play and unbalanced schedules,” said Herzog, who led seven teams to the playoffs and had two others finish second … So now the Commissioner is trying to come out with a knockout game. The reason he is doing that is to get one more game you can see for $10 million,” Herzog said.
That’s not wrong. But it’s also not the most controversial thing he said. This is the reporter paraphrasing him:
At one point, Herzog admitted that, had the new format been in place when he managed, he might have tried harder to finish second.
Three of his teams finished third, and Herzog said he sometimes managed to finish third on purpose, not second place, as a way to improve draft-day positioning the next season.
Well OK, then. But yes, it is Selig who is harming competitiveness on the field.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Jeter has caught fire with only days remaining in his career.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Danny Duffy tossed six scoreless innings in his return from left rotator cuff inflammation.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Sergio Romo and Shawon Dunston “exchanged heated words with raised voices” before Bruce Bochy intervened.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Shoemaker came out of nowhere to go 16-4 with a 3.07 ERA and 124/24 K/BB ratio in 136 innings as a 27-year-old rookie, including a 9-1 record and 1.49 ERA in 67 innings since late July.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Tomas, 23, could reportedly command a $100 million contract.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Former major league pitcher and current player agent Dave Stewart is viewed as the overwhelming favorite for the job.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Rough day for the Wren family.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In his first full season as a starter Ross finishes with a 2.81 ERA and 195 strikeouts in 196 innings.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The Royals made it interesting, but the Indians hung on for a 4-3 victory.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
In other words: He won’t be an option again this season even if the Mariners make a deep playoff run.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Pearce has been one of baseball’s biggest surprises this season, batting .297 with 20 home runs and .932 OPS over 98 games.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
He’s owed $23 million in 2015, $25 million in 2016, and $25 million or a $5 million buyout for 2017.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
“He’s a good baseball guy, and we’re in this thing together.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Good news for the Yankees and their once and future ace
Sep 22, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
When injuries wrecked the Mariners’ rotation depth Chris Young stepped in and went 12-6 with a 3.07 ERA through his first 24 starts.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Sep 22, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Washington cut Perez loose after claiming light-hitting shortstop Pedro Florimon off waivers from Minnesota.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
The Cubs know they can’t just get by on change-of-scenery guys and sign-and-flip deals.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The Mets are staying the course. And it is probably a good idea.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)