Blue Jays place Adam Lind on outright waivers

May 19, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT

lind getty Getty Images

From CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler comes word that the Blue Jays placed first baseman Adam Lind on outright waivers Friday, no more than 24 hours after optioning the 28-year-old to Triple-A Las Vegas.

Lind is free to be claimed by any other major league team, but that club would have to take on the $8.5 million in guaranteed money left on a contract that runs through 2016 (not including whatever is still owed to Lind from his $5 million salary for 2012).

Lind is young and once showed great promise, but he’s batted just .238/.289/.420 in his last 309 games for Toronto and seems doubtful to suddenly turn things around with a change of scenery. If he goes unclaimed, the Blue Jays can remove him from their 40-man roster. He would remain stationed in Triple-A.

1. 32bigg - May 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I like Adam Lind, seems like a good guy, and he’s been a Blue Jay for a long time, so I would hate to see him go.

But he’s been so bad the past couple years, it’s hard to justify keeping him in the lineup.

If he does go, then I hope he turns it around wherever he ends up.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

He’s no good guy. Not only does he flat-out suck at hitting a baseball, he’s just all-around lousy.

I remember seeing the Jays on the road in Philly and Washington and I was trying to get autographs with a bunch of other Jays fans. Most of the guys would either come sign some or at least give us a wave when we shouted out to them. Adam Lind just ignored us. Not a look, not a wave, not anything.

He’s been a jerk in my books his entire career and I’m ecstatic to see him and his worthless bat gone for good. If he never plays in the majors again then that’s even better. Good riddance.

• bigleagues - May 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Nothing more annoying and ridiculous than a fan passing judgement on a players personality and character because he wouldn’t come over and sign an autograph the one day you happened to be lucky enough to breath the same air as him.

And what is it about autographs anyway? What is it? To prove that you handed a baseball and a pen to a famous athlete? I mean seriously, it’s not like you have any connection to the guy whatsoever other than watching him play in a game.

• dirtfrompeedysuniform - May 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Most of the time I think you are a total nozzle but for once I am in total agreement with you

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

@bigleagues: read my post again. I couldn’t care less about getting his autograph. What irked me was the fact he didn’t think he even had to acknowledge us. He acted like he was too good for his fans that have travelled to another city to support him and his teammates. I don’t need a guy that thinks he’s above his fans playing in my city.

• bigleagues - May 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

He had a great 1st Half last season. Seem to have it all clicking again, then he went right off the deep end.

If I were speculate, this isn’t about simple deterioration of skill. There is likely something less publicly obvious. Otherwise the Jays wouldn’t attempt to cut ties with him in such a dramatic fashion.

2. proudlycanadian - May 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This reminds me of the way the Jays got rid of the Rios contract. They simply put Rios on waivers and the pale hose(d) signed him.

Lind can still hit, but he had turned too passive at the plate. Not swinging at the first pitch put him in the hole far too often, He also played well at first base.

• Mark - May 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

That makes no sense. His swing % is up, which means he’s been more aggressive, not more passive. Also pitchers aren’t throwing him as many first pitch strikes as they did earlier in his career (58% first strike vs 64% first strike early in his career) so swinging on the first pitch wouldn’t help him.

No, the reason for his struggles is that:

A) He’s making less contact (82% in career year vs 78% after)
      B) His walk rate has dropped while the K rate has gone up.
      C) He’s struggling to pull the ball (1.00+ OPS to LF in 2009 and that’s dropped in 2011/2012).

3. cur68 - May 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

He has a history of a bad back. He was on fire last season before it derailed him. When he came back he wasn’t the same hitter. Same thing is going on this season. He looks like he did after he returned from the DL last season. Too bad for him, really. He didn’t seem like a bad guy. Home he can resurrect his career somewhere else. Meantime, the Beaver Men have a Brazilian to replace him. He can hit a little, too.

• proudlycanadian - May 20, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The Jays also have Cooper at Triple A and McDade at Double A. Both are very good prospects.

• 32bigg - May 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Cooper seems like he will be able to hit for average, but you need power from the first base position. I think you want at least 25 homers and an OPS over .800 for a first baseman, especially when you compare him to the other first basemen in the AL.

• proudlycanadian - May 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Cooper hits for average, but McDade has more power. You do not necessarily need a power hitter at first, if there are enough power hitters on the team.

• 32bigg - May 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I’m greedy. You can never have enough power hitters.

• cur68 - May 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lads, whichever one of you is right really makes no difference: I’ll take another productive bat any day. Beaver Power.

4. Ben - May 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM

He can’t be worse than the regulars the Twins are trotting out this year, might be worth it for them to take a gamble on him. Low risk, decent reward. Unfortunately I think Drew has his contract structure wrong–5 million this year, 5 million next year, and then escalating team options until 2016. Not sure he’s worth close to 10 million guaranteed.

5. Walk - May 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Not sure about options but part of this seasons 5million has already been paid so 8.5 million remaining seems right.

6. proudlycanadian - May 20, 2012 at 6:33 AM

The Marlins need a first baseman and are said to be thinking about him. That could be a good fit and they could afford the contract.

Besides the bad back, there have certainly been changes going on in his personal life including an interracial marriage to a very attractive lady and a new child. Her Canadian citizenship also led to some strange complications with immigration that affected the time they could be together. His mind has not been fully on baseball. I have no idea if this has affected his performance or not.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM

PC, given his performance and, assuming the information about his back further up is accurate, I can’t imagine that Larry Beinfest would spring for Lind without the Feather Lice picking up all but the league minimum left on his contract. For numbers like that, he’s already got options that would provide similar performance at a much lower cost – Tweeter, for example.

7. dowhatifeellike - May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Surprising. I know he’s struggling this year but I always thought he was pretty good because he has pounded Oriole pitching the past few years. Then again, who hasn’t?

Final take away from World Series