May 19, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
Bobby Valentine was ejected for the 38th time in his managerial career last night and for the first time as Red Sox skipper. And it was super awkward.
Valentine came out to argue after Marlon Byrd hit a grounder up the middle and Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins threw him out in a close play at first for the second out in the top of the ninth inning. Bobby V tried to state his case to first base umpire Gary Darling that Ty Wigginton came off the first base bag before catching the throw from Rollins. After Valentine made multiple hops into the air to emphasize his point, this happened. A true gift from the GIF gods.
Yes, Darling’s gum fell out of his mouth and hit Valentine in the chest. You can watch the full video of the ejection here. Bobby V deserves a lot of credit for keeping his composure long enough to wish a pox upon Darling’s house while walking back to the dugout.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)