May 19, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
The Mets were particularly vulnerable this afternoon with David Wright out of the starting lineup and Blue Jays’ right-hander Brandon Morrow took advantage, tossing a complete game three-hit shutout as part of a 2-0 victory.
Morrow struck out eight and walked one while throwing 76 out of 107 pitches for strikes. The Mets nearly had a rally going after Scott Hairston led off the ninth inning with a walk and Mike Baxter ripped one down the first base line for a potential double, but Jose Bautista made a quick throw from right field and shortstop Yunel Escobar slapped down the tag at second base. While replays showed that Escobar missed the tag on Baxter, second base umpire Brian Knight called him out. Oh, human element. Daniel Murphy then lined out to Escobar for the final out of the ballgame.
It was the second shutout of the season for Morrow, which leads the majors, and the third of his career. The 27-year-old right-hander is now 5-1 on the year with an outstanding 2.63 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 61 2/3 innings over nine starts.
The Jays have now won four straight, including two wins against the Yankees and two against the Mets, and sit at 23-18 on the young season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)