May 19, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
The Mets were particularly vulnerable this afternoon with David Wright out of the starting lineup and Blue Jays’ right-hander Brandon Morrow took advantage, tossing a complete game three-hit shutout as part of a 2-0 victory.
Morrow struck out eight and walked one while throwing 76 out of 107 pitches for strikes. The Mets nearly had a rally going after Scott Hairston led off the ninth inning with a walk and Mike Baxter ripped one down the first base line for a potential double, but Jose Bautista made a quick throw from right field and shortstop Yunel Escobar slapped down the tag at second base. While replays showed that Escobar missed the tag on Baxter, second base umpire Brian Knight called him out. Oh, human element. Daniel Murphy then lined out to Escobar for the final out of the ballgame.
It was the second shutout of the season for Morrow, which leads the majors, and the third of his career. The 27-year-old right-hander is now 5-1 on the year with an outstanding 2.63 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 61 2/3 innings over nine starts.
The Jays have now won four straight, including two wins against the Yankees and two against the Mets, and sit at 23-18 on the young season.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)