May 19, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
According to Chris Girandola of MLB.com, Chipper Jones is expected to miss the rest of the weekend series against the Rays after leaving last night’s game with a left calf contusion.
Jones suffered the injury when he was smacked in the left leg with a line drive off the bat of B.J. Upton while playing third base in the bottom of the second inning. He stayed in for two more at-bats before Juan Francisco pinch-hit for him in the top of the eighth.
Jones doesn’t think he needs an MRI or X-rays, but he likely won’t return to action until at least Monday when the Braves take on the Reds in Cincinnati.
“It’s safe to say my career in Tampa Bay is officially over,” said Jones, who had planned to have family and friends from his hometown area in Deland, Fla., attend the game on Saturday.
Jones, who turned 40 last month, is hitting .307/.372/.485 with five home runs, 24 RBI and an .857 OPS through 113 plate appearances this season.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)