May 19, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
According to Chris Girandola of MLB.com, Chipper Jones is expected to miss the rest of the weekend series against the Rays after leaving last night’s game with a left calf contusion.
Jones suffered the injury when he was smacked in the left leg with a line drive off the bat of B.J. Upton while playing third base in the bottom of the second inning. He stayed in for two more at-bats before Juan Francisco pinch-hit for him in the top of the eighth.
Jones doesn’t think he needs an MRI or X-rays, but he likely won’t return to action until at least Monday when the Braves take on the Reds in Cincinnati.
“It’s safe to say my career in Tampa Bay is officially over,” said Jones, who had planned to have family and friends from his hometown area in Deland, Fla., attend the game on Saturday.
Jones, who turned 40 last month, is hitting .307/.372/.485 with five home runs, 24 RBI and an .857 OPS through 113 plate appearances this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)