May 19, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
According to Chris Girandola of MLB.com, Chipper Jones is expected to miss the rest of the weekend series against the Rays after leaving last night’s game with a left calf contusion.
Jones suffered the injury when he was smacked in the left leg with a line drive off the bat of B.J. Upton while playing third base in the bottom of the second inning. He stayed in for two more at-bats before Juan Francisco pinch-hit for him in the top of the eighth.
Jones doesn’t think he needs an MRI or X-rays, but he likely won’t return to action until at least Monday when the Braves take on the Reds in Cincinnati.
“It’s safe to say my career in Tampa Bay is officially over,” said Jones, who had planned to have family and friends from his hometown area in Deland, Fla., attend the game on Saturday.
Jones, who turned 40 last month, is hitting .307/.372/.485 with five home runs, 24 RBI and an .857 OPS through 113 plate appearances this season.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)