May 19, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
According to Chris Girandola of MLB.com, Chipper Jones is expected to miss the rest of the weekend series against the Rays after leaving last night’s game with a left calf contusion.
Jones suffered the injury when he was smacked in the left leg with a line drive off the bat of B.J. Upton while playing third base in the bottom of the second inning. He stayed in for two more at-bats before Juan Francisco pinch-hit for him in the top of the eighth.
Jones doesn’t think he needs an MRI or X-rays, but he likely won’t return to action until at least Monday when the Braves take on the Reds in Cincinnati.
“It’s safe to say my career in Tampa Bay is officially over,” said Jones, who had planned to have family and friends from his hometown area in Deland, Fla., attend the game on Saturday.
Jones, who turned 40 last month, is hitting .307/.372/.485 with five home runs, 24 RBI and an .857 OPS through 113 plate appearances this season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)