May 19, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster will have a familiar face behind the plate for his start tonight against the White Sox.
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs have acquired catcher Koyie Hill from the Reds for cash considerations. He’s expected to join the club immediately.
The Cubs have a sudden need for catching depth now that Geovany Soto is expected to miss three to four weeks following left knee surgery and Welington Castillo is out for four to seven days due to a mild MCL sprain in his right knee. Blake Lalli is the only other catcher on the roster right now and he just made his major league debut yesterday.
Hill was non-tendered by the Cubs in December after batting .194/.268/.276 over 153 plate appearances last season. The 33-year-old backstop signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals in January, but was released at the end of spring training. He latched on with the Reds late last month and had a .195/250/.341 over 44 plate appearances with Double-A Pensacola.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)