May 19, 2012, 1:33 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen expects Bonifacio to land on the disabled list.
1:33 PM: Emilio Bonifacio is out of the Marlins’ starting lineup this afternoon against the Indians after leaving last night’s game with a strained left thumb. The speedy center fielder suffered the injury when he was thrown out trying to steal second base in the top of the fifth inning.
Bonifacio is listed as day-to-day for now, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that he was sent for an MRI and is currently awaiting the results. Bryan Petersen will start in his place in center field this afternoon.
Bonifacio, 27, is hitting .268/.351/.315 through 170 plate appearances this season and currently leads the majors with 20 stolen bases in 21 attempts. He’s way out in front of the competition at the moment, as Astros’ center fielder Jordan Schafer ranks second in the majors with 13 stolen bases.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)