May 19, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Hudson was released by the Padres on Thursday after batting just .211/.260/.317 with one home run and 11 RBI through his first 131 plate appearances.
The Pale Hose will work Hudson into the mix at second base, where 25-year-old Gordon Beckham has struggled to provide consistent production since his breakout rookie season back in 2009.
Hudson, 34, is a .276/.343/.415 career hitter but is well beyond his prime and seems doubtful to be a significant upgrade for Chicago. The Padres are still on the hook for his $5.5 million salary.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)