May 19, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Hudson was released by the Padres on Thursday after batting just .211/.260/.317 with one home run and 11 RBI through his first 131 plate appearances.
The Pale Hose will work Hudson into the mix at second base, where 25-year-old Gordon Beckham has struggled to provide consistent production since his breakout rookie season back in 2009.
Hudson, 34, is a .276/.343/.415 career hitter but is well beyond his prime and seems doubtful to be a significant upgrade for Chicago. The Padres are still on the hook for his $5.5 million salary.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 34
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 47
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105