May 19, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Hudson was released by the Padres on Thursday after batting just .211/.260/.317 with one home run and 11 RBI through his first 131 plate appearances.
The Pale Hose will work Hudson into the mix at second base, where 25-year-old Gordon Beckham has struggled to provide consistent production since his breakout rookie season back in 2009.
Hudson, 34, is a .276/.343/.415 career hitter but is well beyond his prime and seems doubtful to be a significant upgrade for Chicago. The Padres are still on the hook for his $5.5 million salary.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 16
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8