May 19, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Hudson was released by the Padres on Thursday after batting just .211/.260/.317 with one home run and 11 RBI through his first 131 plate appearances.
The Pale Hose will work Hudson into the mix at second base, where 25-year-old Gordon Beckham has struggled to provide consistent production since his breakout rookie season back in 2009.
Hudson, 34, is a .276/.343/.415 career hitter but is well beyond his prime and seems doubtful to be a significant upgrade for Chicago. The Padres are still on the hook for his $5.5 million salary.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)