May 19, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Initial tests came back clean aside from a cut and swelling above his left eye, but Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com reports that his eye is now “swollen shut” and he might have to miss “more than a couple games.”
Adam Dunn was originally expected to play left field this weekend with the DH unavailable under National League rules, but he’ll fill in at first base with Konerko out of the lineup. Dayan Viciedo, who has hit safely in five straight games, will play in his usual spot in left field.
Konerko, 36, is hitting .367/.453/.604 with eight home runs, 23 RBI and a 1.058 OPS over his first 161 plate appearances this year.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)