May 19, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman provides the insight:
There is no timetable for injured veteran third baseman Scott Rolen‘s return to the Reds, and there seems to be an uncertainty now whether he will be able to make it back at all.
“I really don’t know” is how Reds manager Dusty Baker responded when asked Saturday about Rolen’s status.
The 37-year-old has battled shoulder issues since his early-30s and was struggling to the tune of a .174/.238/.304 batting line through 101 plate appearances this season. His 17-year career might be over.
Todd Frazier has taken over at the hot corner in Cincinnati. He has a cool .916 OPS in 20 games.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 118
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 78
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (119)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (80)