May 19, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman provides the insight:
There is no timetable for injured veteran third baseman Scott Rolen‘s return to the Reds, and there seems to be an uncertainty now whether he will be able to make it back at all.
“I really don’t know” is how Reds manager Dusty Baker responded when asked Saturday about Rolen’s status.
The 37-year-old has battled shoulder issues since his early-30s and was struggling to the tune of a .174/.238/.304 batting line through 101 plate appearances this season. His 17-year career might be over.
Todd Frazier has taken over at the hot corner in Cincinnati. He has a cool .916 OPS in 20 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 26
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)