May 20, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy was scratched from a scheduled outing earlier this month due to right shoulder discomfort. He’s made two starts since then, including a 10-strikeout gem against the Tigers, but that shoulder issue is still barking.
The A’s threw McCarthy on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning, according to the club’s official Twitter feed, and recalled reliever Jim Miller from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding roster move.
McCarthy has posted a stellar 2.95 ERA and 40/16 K/BB ratio across 58 innings (nine starts) this season for the 20-21 Athletics.
The 28-year-old missed a month of the 2011 campaign with a similar shoulder injury.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 22
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 35
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)