May 20, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy was scratched from a scheduled outing earlier this month due to right shoulder discomfort. He’s made two starts since then, including a 10-strikeout gem against the Tigers, but that shoulder issue is still barking.
The A’s threw McCarthy on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning, according to the club’s official Twitter feed, and recalled reliever Jim Miller from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding roster move.
McCarthy has posted a stellar 2.95 ERA and 40/16 K/BB ratio across 58 innings (nine starts) this season for the 20-21 Athletics.
The 28-year-old missed a month of the 2011 campaign with a similar shoulder injury.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (321)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)