May 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
According to the club’s official Twitter feed, the Cardinals placed Lance Berkman on the 15-day disabled list Sunday afternoon with a right knee injury and purchased the contract of first base prospect Matt Adams from Triple-A Memphis.
Berkman was pulled from Saturday’s game against the Dodgers after stretching awkwardly at first base to grab a throw from shortstop Rafael Furcal. The Cardinals aren’t sure exactly what his injury is, but they’re clearly thinking it’s fairly severe.
Adams was batting .340/.375/.603 with nine home runs and 27 RBI through 37 games this year for the Memphis Redbirds. He registered a .923 OPS, 32 home runs and 101 RBI in 115 games last season with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Look for the burly 23-year-old to share time at first base with Matt Carpenter while Berkman recovers.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday with a 22-18 record, good enough for first place in the National League Central. But they have several key players who are hobbled and are stuck in a rut of poor starting pitching.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)