May 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
According to the club’s official Twitter feed, the Cardinals placed Lance Berkman on the 15-day disabled list Sunday afternoon with a right knee injury and purchased the contract of first base prospect Matt Adams from Triple-A Memphis.
Berkman was pulled from Saturday’s game against the Dodgers after stretching awkwardly at first base to grab a throw from shortstop Rafael Furcal. The Cardinals aren’t sure exactly what his injury is, but they’re clearly thinking it’s fairly severe.
Adams was batting .340/.375/.603 with nine home runs and 27 RBI through 37 games this year for the Memphis Redbirds. He registered a .923 OPS, 32 home runs and 101 RBI in 115 games last season with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Look for the burly 23-year-old to share time at first base with Matt Carpenter while Berkman recovers.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday with a 22-18 record, good enough for first place in the National League Central. But they have several key players who are hobbled and are stuck in a rut of poor starting pitching.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)