May 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
According to the club’s official Twitter feed, the Cardinals placed Lance Berkman on the 15-day disabled list Sunday afternoon with a right knee injury and purchased the contract of first base prospect Matt Adams from Triple-A Memphis.
Berkman was pulled from Saturday’s game against the Dodgers after stretching awkwardly at first base to grab a throw from shortstop Rafael Furcal. The Cardinals aren’t sure exactly what his injury is, but they’re clearly thinking it’s fairly severe.
Adams was batting .340/.375/.603 with nine home runs and 27 RBI through 37 games this year for the Memphis Redbirds. He registered a .923 OPS, 32 home runs and 101 RBI in 115 games last season with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Look for the burly 23-year-old to share time at first base with Matt Carpenter while Berkman recovers.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday with a 22-18 record, good enough for first place in the National League Central. But they have several key players who are hobbled and are stuck in a rut of poor starting pitching.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)