May 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
According to the club’s official Twitter feed, the Cardinals placed Lance Berkman on the 15-day disabled list Sunday afternoon with a right knee injury and purchased the contract of first base prospect Matt Adams from Triple-A Memphis.
Berkman was pulled from Saturday’s game against the Dodgers after stretching awkwardly at first base to grab a throw from shortstop Rafael Furcal. The Cardinals aren’t sure exactly what his injury is, but they’re clearly thinking it’s fairly severe.
Adams was batting .340/.375/.603 with nine home runs and 27 RBI through 37 games this year for the Memphis Redbirds. He registered a .923 OPS, 32 home runs and 101 RBI in 115 games last season with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals.
Look for the burly 23-year-old to share time at first base with Matt Carpenter while Berkman recovers.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday with a 22-18 record, good enough for first place in the National League Central. But they have several key players who are hobbled and are stuck in a rut of poor starting pitching.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)