May 20, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
Schafer suffered the injury Saturday after running into teammate Justin Maxwell while trying to run down a David Murphy line drive. The ball got past both of them and resulted in an inside-the-park home run.
Schafer, 25, was 0-for-1 with a strikeout before exiting Saturday’s game, a 6-5 win over Texas.
He’s hitting .251/.331/.341 with two homers, 11 RBI and 13 steals in 38 games this season. Maxwell is playing center field in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers. Brian Bogusevic is starting in right.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)