May 20, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
Schafer suffered the injury Saturday after running into teammate Justin Maxwell while trying to run down a David Murphy line drive. The ball got past both of them and resulted in an inside-the-park home run.
Schafer, 25, was 0-for-1 with a strikeout before exiting Saturday’s game, a 6-5 win over Texas.
He’s hitting .251/.331/.341 with two homers, 11 RBI and 13 steals in 38 games this season. Maxwell is playing center field in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers. Brian Bogusevic is starting in right.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)