May 20, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after being upended by the Cardinals’ Tyler Greene while attempting to turn a double play on Friday night.
He made it through the procedure fine but will be sidelined “at least six weeks” according to beat man Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Ellis, 34, is batting .273/.373/.364 with two home runs and nine RBI in 154 plate appearances this season. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers are expected to split time at second base going forward.
The first-place Dodgers will be trying for a sweep of the Cardinals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 0
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 3
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 3
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5