May 20, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after being upended by the Cardinals’ Tyler Greene while attempting to turn a double play on Friday night.
He made it through the procedure fine but will be sidelined “at least six weeks” according to beat man Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Ellis, 34, is batting .273/.373/.364 with two home runs and nine RBI in 154 plate appearances this season. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers are expected to split time at second base going forward.
The first-place Dodgers will be trying for a sweep of the Cardinals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)