May 20, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after being upended by the Cardinals’ Tyler Greene while attempting to turn a double play on Friday night.
He made it through the procedure fine but will be sidelined “at least six weeks” according to beat man Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Ellis, 34, is batting .273/.373/.364 with two home runs and nine RBI in 154 plate appearances this season. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers are expected to split time at second base going forward.
The first-place Dodgers will be trying for a sweep of the Cardinals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)