May 20, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after being upended by the Cardinals’ Tyler Greene while attempting to turn a double play on Friday night.
He made it through the procedure fine but will be sidelined “at least six weeks” according to beat man Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Ellis, 34, is batting .273/.373/.364 with two home runs and nine RBI in 154 plate appearances this season. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers are expected to split time at second base going forward.
The first-place Dodgers will be trying for a sweep of the Cardinals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)