May 20, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after being upended by the Cardinals’ Tyler Greene while attempting to turn a double play on Friday night.
He made it through the procedure fine but will be sidelined “at least six weeks” according to beat man Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
Ellis, 34, is batting .273/.373/.364 with two home runs and nine RBI in 154 plate appearances this season. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers are expected to split time at second base going forward.
The first-place Dodgers will be trying for a sweep of the Cardinals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17