May 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Chris Coghlan was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Bonifacio suffered the injury Friday night while trying to steal a base. An MRI taken Saturday ruled out structural damage, so he should be ready to return to the Fish soon after he’s eligible for activation.
The 27-year-old was batting .268/.351/.315 with a league-leading 20 stolen bases through 170 plate appearances this season.
Miami is 21-19, which ranks third in the National League East. Every team in that division is above .500.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 1
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)