May 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Chris Coghlan was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Bonifacio suffered the injury Friday night while trying to steal a base. An MRI taken Saturday ruled out structural damage, so he should be ready to return to the Fish soon after he’s eligible for activation.
The 27-year-old was batting .268/.351/.315 with a league-leading 20 stolen bases through 170 plate appearances this season.
Miami is 21-19, which ranks third in the National League East. Every team in that division is above .500.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)