May 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Chris Coghlan was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Bonifacio suffered the injury Friday night while trying to steal a base. An MRI taken Saturday ruled out structural damage, so he should be ready to return to the Fish soon after he’s eligible for activation.
The 27-year-old was batting .268/.351/.315 with a league-leading 20 stolen bases through 170 plate appearances this season.
Miami is 21-19, which ranks third in the National League East. Every team in that division is above .500.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)