May 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EST
Chris Coghlan was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Bonifacio suffered the injury Friday night while trying to steal a base. An MRI taken Saturday ruled out structural damage, so he should be ready to return to the Fish soon after he’s eligible for activation.
The 27-year-old was batting .268/.351/.315 with a league-leading 20 stolen bases through 170 plate appearances this season.
Miami is 21-19, which ranks third in the National League East. Every team in that division is above .500.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (139)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)