May 20, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Scherzer allowed two runs in seven innings in the game. Tigers pitchers struck out 17 in all.
This year’s previous high strikeout game belonged to Anibal Sanchez, who fanned 14 Diamondbacks on April 28.
It was the high game for a Tigers pitcher since Mickey Lolich struck out 15 Red Sox on Oct. 2, 1972.
Scherzer improved to 3-3 with the victory and lowered his ERA to 5.73. He has four games of nine or more strikeouts this year, but he’s also given up at least five runs on three occasions.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17