May 20, 2012, 4:44 PM EST
Scherzer allowed two runs in seven innings in the game. Tigers pitchers struck out 17 in all.
This year’s previous high strikeout game belonged to Anibal Sanchez, who fanned 14 Diamondbacks on April 28.
It was the high game for a Tigers pitcher since Mickey Lolich struck out 15 Red Sox on Oct. 2, 1972.
Scherzer improved to 3-3 with the victory and lowered his ERA to 5.73. He has four games of nine or more strikeouts this year, but he’s also given up at least five runs on three occasions.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)