May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from the Marlins’ lineup Sunday against the Indians and placed on a flight to Venezuela after recieving news that his grandfather had died. This according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Infante, 30, has posted a .326/.357/.568 batting line, six home runs and 20 RBI in 140 plate appearances this season, and could be headed to his second All-Star game if he picks up where he left off upon returning to the states. Donnie Murphy filled in at second base in Sunday’s finale with Cleveland.
The Fish will place Infante on the bereavement list at some point soon. He’ll be out at least three games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)