May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from the Marlins’ lineup Sunday against the Indians and placed on a flight to Venezuela after recieving news that his grandfather had died. This according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Infante, 30, has posted a .326/.357/.568 batting line, six home runs and 20 RBI in 140 plate appearances this season, and could be headed to his second All-Star game if he picks up where he left off upon returning to the states. Donnie Murphy filled in at second base in Sunday’s finale with Cleveland.
The Fish will place Infante on the bereavement list at some point soon. He’ll be out at least three games.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)