May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from the Marlins’ lineup Sunday against the Indians and placed on a flight to Venezuela after recieving news that his grandfather had died. This according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Infante, 30, has posted a .326/.357/.568 batting line, six home runs and 20 RBI in 140 plate appearances this season, and could be headed to his second All-Star game if he picks up where he left off upon returning to the states. Donnie Murphy filled in at second base in Sunday’s finale with Cleveland.
The Fish will place Infante on the bereavement list at some point soon. He’ll be out at least three games.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (259)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)