May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from the Marlins’ lineup Sunday against the Indians and placed on a flight to Venezuela after recieving news that his grandfather had died. This according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Infante, 30, has posted a .326/.357/.568 batting line, six home runs and 20 RBI in 140 plate appearances this season, and could be headed to his second All-Star game if he picks up where he left off upon returning to the states. Donnie Murphy filled in at second base in Sunday’s finale with Cleveland.
The Fish will place Infante on the bereavement list at some point soon. He’ll be out at least three games.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)