May 20, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Marlins second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from the Marlins’ lineup Sunday against the Indians and placed on a flight to Venezuela after recieving news that his grandfather had died. This according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Infante, 30, has posted a .326/.357/.568 batting line, six home runs and 20 RBI in 140 plate appearances this season, and could be headed to his second All-Star game if he picks up where he left off upon returning to the states. Donnie Murphy filled in at second base in Sunday’s finale with Cleveland.
The Fish will place Infante on the bereavement list at some point soon. He’ll be out at least three games.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)