May 20, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg had a very eventful day Sunday in the Nationals’ 9-3 win over the Orioles. He hit his first big-league homer off Baltimore starter Wei-Yin Chen, but he left the game after five innings with some biceps tightness.
”I don’t care who it was, if I find out they have tightness, they’re out”‘ manager Davey Johnson said. ”I talked to him later in the game. He said it relaxed a bit and was a lot better. I’m not as concerned when it’s in the biceps.”
Strasburg echoed those thoughts:
”The biceps is fine,” he said. ”It’s just throwing a lot of pitches early, then we put up a lot of runs and stuff. I just got a little tired, got a little tight, but that’s nothing different than any other outing.”
For now, Strasburg appears to be penciled in to make his next start, though since he’s on an innings limit this year anyway, the Nationals could always choose to give him a little break. Or they could always try him in left field. Strasburg went 2-for-2 today and is 6-for-16 with four extra-base hits at the plate this season. He was just 1-for-26 lifetime entering the season.
On the mound, Strasburg allowed three runs — one earned — in his five innings today. He fanned eight and threw 91 pitches.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)