May 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Phillies right-hander Vance Worley was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was described as “soreness” in his right elbow.
He’s expected to return in a couple weeks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer‘s Matt Gelb reports that an ultrasound and MRI taken recently revealed bone chips that could require offseason surgery.
“Man up,” is how Worley responded when asked Sunday how he plans on making it through the summer with loose bodies in his elbow. “That’s the only thing I can do. I’ll just grit and grind out there.”
The 24-year-old has a 3.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio through 44 innings (seven starts) this season.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)