May 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Phillies right-hander Vance Worley was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was described as “soreness” in his right elbow.
He’s expected to return in a couple weeks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer‘s Matt Gelb reports that an ultrasound and MRI taken recently revealed bone chips that could require offseason surgery.
“Man up,” is how Worley responded when asked Sunday how he plans on making it through the summer with loose bodies in his elbow. “That’s the only thing I can do. I’ll just grit and grind out there.”
The 24-year-old has a 3.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio through 44 innings (seven starts) this season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)