May 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Phillies right-hander Vance Worley was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was described as “soreness” in his right elbow.
He’s expected to return in a couple weeks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer‘s Matt Gelb reports that an ultrasound and MRI taken recently revealed bone chips that could require offseason surgery.
“Man up,” is how Worley responded when asked Sunday how he plans on making it through the summer with loose bodies in his elbow. “That’s the only thing I can do. I’ll just grit and grind out there.”
The 24-year-old has a 3.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio through 44 innings (seven starts) this season.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)