May 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Phillies right-hander Vance Worley was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was described as “soreness” in his right elbow.
He’s expected to return in a couple weeks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer‘s Matt Gelb reports that an ultrasound and MRI taken recently revealed bone chips that could require offseason surgery.
“Man up,” is how Worley responded when asked Sunday how he plans on making it through the summer with loose bodies in his elbow. “That’s the only thing I can do. I’ll just grit and grind out there.”
The 24-year-old has a 3.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio through 44 innings (seven starts) this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)