Vance Worley will likely need offseason elbow surgery

May 20, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT

worley getty Getty Images

Phillies right-hander Vance Worley was placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was described as “soreness” in his right elbow.

He’s expected to return in a couple weeks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer‘s Matt Gelb reports that an ultrasound and MRI taken recently revealed bone chips that could require offseason surgery.

“Man up,” is how Worley responded when asked Sunday how he plans on making it through the summer with loose bodies in his elbow. “That’s the only thing I can do. I’ll just grit and grind out there.”

The 24-year-old has a 3.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio through 44 innings (seven starts) this season.

1. hiltonandastoria - May 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Guess it can’t get any worse

• purnellmeagrejr - May 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM

“Man up.” he shold ” “smarten up” instead – bettter for his careeer.

2. xmatt0926x - May 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I think it can get worse. In the Philly.com story Worley said he started altering his delivery to compensate for the discomfort. It seems to me that a guy like Worley can easily make things worse by changing his delivery in order to try and compensate for the pain and maybe in the course of the year it could affect his shoulder, etc. Who knows. I’m not sure how long the recovery process from that type of elbow injury would be but it sure seems like a risk to me. You also have to wonder if he will even be a quality pitcher if he has pain so what do you really gain by making him grind through it? Hope it works out.

3. jwbiii - May 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

That never works!

• jwbiii - May 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Edit function, please. My /Rocket J. Squirrel tag disappeared into some bit bucket.

4. mississippimusicman - May 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

“Grit and grind” – I wonder if the pun there was intentional…

5. dennisund - May 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Blogger didn’t mention that Worley consulted Hamels, who apparently pitched most of last season with bone chips in his elbow. That’s one fine season under the circumstances.

• dennisund - May 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM

(or any circumstances)

• leerosenthall - May 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Now THAT’s “old school.”

6. djm426 - May 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Finally,athletes willing to fight thru pain

7. btwicey - May 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Lol Old school alright

8. flyerscup2010 - May 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

the idea of hurling an object at 90 mph with small sharp pieces of bone in my elbow being rubbed against by other bones and ligaments turns my stomach

9. prrbrr - May 21, 2012 at 7:35 AM