May 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus has put together a guide to on-field F-bombs. Something of a taxonomy, actually, categorizing the different ways in which said bombs are thrown. Example:
If you stand in the umpire’s face and yell “F***. S***” you’ll get ejected. If you walk away and say it just loud enough to be heard, but not so loud that you’re demanding a reaction, you can pretty much get your point across and live to get another plate appearance.
And he pairs these observations up with animated GIFs showing recent examples. Which are all glorious, because we’re all basically kids and swearing is a lot of fun. Don’t lie and say it’s not.
Arglebargle, filth and foul.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)