A fan was beaten in the Dodger Stadium parking lot last night

May 21, 2012, 9:40 AM EST

Dodger Stadium

More violence in the Dodger Stadium parking lot. This wasn’t a fandom-motivated thing like Bryan Stow, but still, dude:

A man was dragged out of his car and beaten outside Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday night after apparently causing a minor collision, KABC-TV reported.

The victim suffered non-life-threatening head and facial injuries in the parking lot attack, which happened after the home team beat the St. Louis Cardinals before more than 44,000 spectators.

It’s a giant parking lot so it’s not a stretch to assume it happened out of sight of security — and it wouldn’t be the first time a motorist overreacted to a fender bender — still, this is the sort of thing that gives fuel to the notion that the Dodgers don’t have a handle on security in their parking lots. Or at least, you can bet Bryan Stow’s lawyers will say so.

1. mungman69 - May 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Idiots everywhere!

• stlsteelerfan - May 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Not everywhere. This stuff just happens in LA and Philly.

• kellyb9 - May 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

yep… stuff like this never happens in Pittsburgh thats for sure…

• sasquash20 - May 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

your a douche bag

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

you’re

• koufaxmitzvah - May 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Because nobody bit the finger off a security guard in Pittsburgh. And nobody started a riot in San Francisco.

Yup. Just LA and Philly. That goodness this is contained!

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Worst fans in baseball…outside the stadium.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM

This sounds like a job for….George Zimmerman!

• babyjesus69 - May 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM

In my experience LA fans and Raider fans are hands down the worst fans in California! And I’m only saying that cause I’ve never been to a sporting event outside the state. Ignorance plus passion is a dangerous combination

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Being one, I can say this…Red Sox fans are probably the most annoying. Especially on the road. I live in PHX and when the Sox came here in 2007 (and took over Chase Field), I felt badly for the D’Back fans… there was no drowning the Sox fans out… Much like Camden Yards :(

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

So what makes them annoying is that they do a better job filling stadiums than your own team’s fans?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Wow, nevermind. Maybe I should learn to read.

2. proudlycanadian - May 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Blame the owner of the parking lot, not the Dodgers for the poor security.

• kchoya - May 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Wait, so we have to blame Magic Johnson?

“Guggenheim Baseball agreed to a 99-year lease with the company that owns the parking lots, a joint venture between McCourt and an entity affiliated with the new team owners.”

— LA Times, 5/4/12

• Old Gator - May 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yep, it’s still McCourt’s fault. Everything is, which is how it ought to be.

3. CJ - May 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Sounds like yet another lawsuit for McCourt. Yes I know he sold the team, but he still owns a stake in the parking lots iirc.

4. ajcardsfan - May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Good grief, what the hell is wrong with people…starting to think Los Angeles fan’s are all on steroids and having roid rage (I apologize to the civilized Angels/Dodgers fans out there) I think I’ll avoid going to Dodger Stadium any time in the near future.

5. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Wow, I didn’t realize the Phillies were playing at Dodger stadium last night? Man their fans travel!

/ducks

• number42is1 - May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Craig claims he never does thumbs up/down but there is no way hes going to avoid this one.

• stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Hahahahaha! Well played Church.

• Jonny 5 - May 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I just threw my Phanatic piggy bank at you. And it has change in it.

6. mybrunoblog - May 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

“Alex I’ll take the minor traffic accident and road rage beating for $500 please”
    Unfortunatly this is not that uncommon but it is magnified when it happens at a pro sports venue.

7. acdc84 - May 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Let me guess: the suspect’s name is “Jose Gonzalez” or “Pancho Hernandez” or some combination of the two.

Just saying.

• anythingbutyanks - May 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Let me guess: your a douche who likes to make unwarranted racial/ethnic generalizations.

Just sayin’.

• acdc84 - May 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Wow, I was right.

Certain races are much more prone to violence, and that’s a fact.

Just saying,you ‘tard. Go hug a tree.

• anythingbutyanks - May 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Minority races are not much more prone to violence- lower socioeconomic classes are prone to more violence, which happens to be where many of our minorities persistently sit on the class scale. Violence among whites from similar backgrounds is similarly high. As for the fact that the four gentlemen who were arrested have Hispanic last names…grab an LA phone book sometime or go to a Dodgers game and you’ll find out that simple demographics- not crime statistics- are what made it likely that this was done by Hispanics.
        This is the last I’m going to argue with a racist. Arguing only makes sense when the other side adheres to basic rules of logic, reason and facts.

8. vansloot - May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Nothing like turning a minor fender bender into an assault and battery charge. Stay classy.

9. steelymcbeam6 - May 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Anythingbut…..is the man wrong? No? Just saying

10. biasedhomer - May 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

One of the most violent sports areas in the country.

11. Jonny 5 - May 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

What? No dialogue about how this is to be expected because it involves Dodgers fans??? Is it fair to stereotype Dodgers fans yet? Please oh righteous moderator of what stereotypes are allowed and not, please let us know exactly when we can start piling on these people too. If they deserve it anyway, but that’s your choice I guess.

• ptfu - May 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

If you’re looking for tips on Dodger fan stereotypes, look no further than Giants fans. Many have decades of experience in that department. Honorable mention goes to Angels, Padres, and Yankees fans.

There’s plenty of hate out there, you just have to stir it up properly. But that’s something any Phan should be familiar with, amirite? :-)

12. bigleagues - May 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This sh1t is just not normal let alone excusable.

Consider this . . . on multiple occasions I have donned a #24 retro Red Sox jersey (think Dewey, not Manny) taken a Metro North train into Manhattan, rode the subway to the Bronx, walked from the Subway into Yankees Stadium, watched an entire game while cheering for the Red Sox and chiding the Yankees, exit the Stadium, climb back onto the Subway, and taken Metro North back home – and never once have someone physically threaten me let alone beat me to within an inch of my life.

Now there was an incident here in CT a couple of years ago between Yankees and Red Sox fans that got a lot of press, but I believe the media kind of molded that into a Red Sox/Yankees story.

What I’m trying to say . . . well, actually, Rocky said it best:

• bigleagues - May 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

In fact, I should add that when I did this in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS, after Damon’s nail in the coffin – the Yankees fans seated around us, every one of them, shook our hands and congratulated us on a long overdue victory . . . and some of them even HUGGED us.

Sure, there was some verbal taunting, but I laughed and taunted back appropriately.

Of course, there weren’t too many Yankees fans in the house after the game when about 3-4,000 Red Sox fans had converged behind home plate and I proudly started the chant that got broadcast around the world:

“IN YOURRRRRR HOWWWSE”

• sasquash20 - May 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Rocky ended the cold war not Reagan!

• Old Gator - May 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sasquash (sic), your (sic) as well versed in history as you are in spelling punctuation, apparently.

13. AlohaMrHand - May 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Dodger fans?Or drunks who shouldn’t of been driving in the first place?

14. phillyphan83 - May 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Way to go Craig. I see how you put the blame on Dodgers security(your assumption is wrong, stadium security and police saw the assault, intervened, and arrested all 4 suspects, but way to do your research before submitting your post!) and made no denigrating, sarcastic remarks about the Dodgers’ fans, which is where the blame belongs. Then again, the Dodgers are not your team’s division rival so I guess you were able to keep your personal emotions out of this post. Amateur hour continues…

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You believe I should have made jokes and taunted people when someone was brutally attacked? Why? Out of fairness? To make up for an anti-Philly thing I have?

You’re pretty sick, dude.

15. flyerscup2010 - May 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Must’ve been Phillies fans in Dodgers fan costumes. These things only happen in Philly, after all. -Craig

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Wow how original a joke! Wish I had thought of that.

16. lanflfan - May 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Absolutely small story completely blown out of proportion by the idiotic LA media (and then the national media) who were (apparently) starved for a story. I heard updates this morning several times on local morning news, yet security (including uniformed off-duty LAPD officers) handled the incident. Yes indeed, security responded and arrested the perpetrating morons. Amazing how that minor bit of news was trivialized in most accounts, or stated incorrect. The victim has minor injuries and is in stable condition. There wasn’t a need to update anything, it was hardly a breaking story.

Road rage happens everywhere, and I imagine crap like that happens several times a day in ALL major cities. If the morons in question play their fender games a block or two away from the Stadium this never sees the light of day, but because McAsshat was a cheap, greedy toad anytime a leaf lands too hard in the Dodger Stadium parking lot its those evil, scumbag, angry Dodger fans causing trouble again. Something like all the negative descriptions of Philly fans, because (/sarcasm on) clearly all Philly fans throw batteries, boo Santa and cheer when opposing players are injured (/sarcasm off).

Note this isn’t a condemnation of Craig but of the national media which is still running the story for utterly sensationalistic purposes, which is all the media whores have. Never let a good fact get in the way of a sensational headline.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester