May 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Reader D — that’s how he signed the email anyway — alerts us to a fine piece of American history up for auction. A baseball bat. And not just any baseball bat:
… a 25-inch ornately detailed bat with gold-leafed vines wrapped around the mid-barrel portion meeting a silver metal scroll at the handle. On the scroll is engraved “R. Huff, Fulton, Missouri, 1936, Ku Klux Klan.” A silver-colored metal wraps around the handle while the knob is inlaid with what appear to be 12 ivory circles. On one the end of the knob is a hooked silver cross inlaid with “KKK” engraved on it. The 25″ bat shows some wear but overall is in EX condition.
There was a Roy Huff who played in the Cardinals system in the 1940s and 50s, but he would have only been 12 when the bat was engraved. Guessing it wasn’t his unless the little league slugging awards were kinda crazy back then.
I asked on Twitter who would ever want to bid on such a vile thing, and of course a million people responded with “Luke Scott” or “John Rocker.” Yawn. Way too easy. I prefer this answer:
@craigcalcaterra someone with a deep sense of irony, planning to bludgeon a white supremacist?
— Jesus Fish (@AntsinIN) May 21, 2012
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)