May 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Reader D — that’s how he signed the email anyway — alerts us to a fine piece of American history up for auction. A baseball bat. And not just any baseball bat:
… a 25-inch ornately detailed bat with gold-leafed vines wrapped around the mid-barrel portion meeting a silver metal scroll at the handle. On the scroll is engraved “R. Huff, Fulton, Missouri, 1936, Ku Klux Klan.” A silver-colored metal wraps around the handle while the knob is inlaid with what appear to be 12 ivory circles. On one the end of the knob is a hooked silver cross inlaid with “KKK” engraved on it. The 25″ bat shows some wear but overall is in EX condition.
There was a Roy Huff who played in the Cardinals system in the 1940s and 50s, but he would have only been 12 when the bat was engraved. Guessing it wasn’t his unless the little league slugging awards were kinda crazy back then.
I asked on Twitter who would ever want to bid on such a vile thing, and of course a million people responded with “Luke Scott” or “John Rocker.” Yawn. Way too easy. I prefer this answer:
@craigcalcaterra someone with a deep sense of irony, planning to bludgeon a white supremacist?
— Jesus Fish (@AntsinIN) May 21, 2012
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 49
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)