May 21, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Ike Davis has struggled all season, hitting just .163 after missing most of last year with an ankle injury, but manager Terry Collins repeatedly made it very clear that the Mets had no intention of demoting the first baseman to the minors.
And then yesterday Collins’ tune changed a bit, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger.
When asked about Davis’ status, Collins replied: “There is nothing etched in stone. We will never say something’s not going to happen.”
Jason Bay is due back from the disabled list fairly soon and Collins has already said he’ll resume starting in left field, which could push Kirk Nieuwenhuis to right field and potentially move Lucas Duda to first base. Which would also mean Davis going to the bench or Triple-A at age 25.
Before being shut down last season Davis played 36 games and hit .302 with seven homers, eight doubles, and a .925 OPS. He’s played 38 games so far this season, hitting .163 with five homers, four doubles, and a .524 OPS. So much of the power is still there, but Davis is having very poor luck getting singles to drop and he’s also struggling to control the strike zone with a 39/10 K/BB ratio.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 12
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (105)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)