May 21, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
One day after officially being named the Reds’ closer, Aroldis Chapman is in some hot water.
According to NBC affiliate WLTW, Chapman was arrested in Ohio early Monday morning after speeding while driving with a suspended license.
Chapman was pulled over after being clocked at 93 mph in his 2010 Mercedes S63. That probably doesn’t seem very fast to him since his average fastball checks in at 96.7 mph this season, but most normal people consider that excessive and reckless. The Cuban left-hander was arrested after the officer saw he was driving with a suspended Kentucky driver’s license. There was no mention of alcohol in the report.
Chapman was formally charged cited for speeding and driving under suspension. He was released on bond and is expected to appear in court on June 6.
The Reds haven’t issued a statement on the matter and it’s not clear if he’ll face any punishment from the team.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The end of this awkward, orchestrated process is in sight.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
He’ll be eligible for free agency next offseason at age 34.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Both players will reject the offers.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Here we go.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Dirks missed the entire season following back surgery and then a hamstring injury.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Go O.D. on some hot trolley action.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez played for the Yankees in 2011 and 2012.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Our last HBT Daily of the year gives a brief taste of the coming winter.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
This season he hit just .247 with a .616 OPS in 113 games and Aviles hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2010.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Some random, hypothetical musings on a Friday afternoon.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
He was drafted by the Red Sox in 2002 and made 241 starts for Boston.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
The only question for next season is what inning he’ll pitch.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Weeks has spent his entire career with the Brewers after being the No. 2 overall pick in the 2003 draft.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Matsuzaka left Japan in 2007 to sign a six-year, $52 million contract with the Red Sox and had immediate success, but dating back to 2009 he’s combined to throw 418 innings with a 5.10 ERA.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The mind reels when thinking of what may appear in such a publication.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Including writeups for the top 63, because we’re not always all about round numbers.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And it’s hard to argue with any of what Richard Sandomir has to say about it.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:27 AM EDT
Baseball people are saying that it’s one thing to go after a vacant job. It’s another thing altogether, however, to pursue a job someone — namely Rick Renteria — currently occupies.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Giants second baseman Joe Panik started a key double play in Game 7. Here’s a deeper look at how it went down.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks announced this evening that they have exercised club options on right-hander Daniel Hudson and left-hander Matt Reynolds for 2015.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 0
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 43
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 111
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (111)