Bryce Harper on Phillies fans: “Hopefully they don’t throw batteries at me”

May 21, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Getty Images

Before we get to Bryce Harper’s quote, something Cole Hamels said to Bob Nightengale of USA Today regarding the Nationals and Harper is wroth some scrutiny:

“Yeah, I accidentally stirred the pot,” Hamels told USA TODAY Sports. “It was unintentional. But that’s just the way it happens sometimes.”

OK, now it’s unintentional? So … you weren’t practicing Old School, Prestigious Baseball after all? Whatever, dude. For what it’s worth, Hamels does admit that his aim of plunking Harper backfired and that Harper showed him what he was made of, so I guess there’s peace on that front.

But maybe not with the fans, as Harper is stirring the pot himself:

Harper, 19, seems to know, and relish, what might await him in Philly. “Hopefully I get a couple boos,” he said. “I’m excited to get up there and play. Hopefully they don’t throw any batteries at me.”

I wish someone would tell Harper how this works. How it’s wrong, wrong, wrong to stereotype Philly fans like that. Yes, they’ve thrown batteries at people and have committed all manner of fan asshattery one can think of, but when they do it, you’re not supposed to say anything about it. You’re supposed to say “hey, that’s an unfair stereotype,” and then note how sometimes fans of other teams do bad things too. Oh, and when fans of other teams do things you’re supposed to jump out of your skin to say “Can you imagine what would happen if that happened in Philly? The haters would be all over us!”

158 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cltjump - May 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Watching all these Fillies Fans flip is amazing. I love it when you bait the Phisees, Craig…

2. marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM

They do not throw batteries at batters that are hitting .230

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

JD Drew was batting .259… they reserve all batteries for .250+

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Nah…in this economy, it’s .275 and above. Boos, on the other hand, don’t cost anything.

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I forgot about the economy…it even hurts Philly fans!

3. tackledummy1505 - May 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The man that wrote this, are you jealous of Philly fans passion? You must’ve come to watch an Eagles game and got beat up? Whatever the case is buddy grow up and grow a pair. You want to come in Philly and think you’re going to crap your team’s colors on us, you better think again. We’re not a one hand clap town or a sign telling us to clap or chant. Whatever the case may be its okay to want what we have.

• IdahoMariner - May 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Duuuude…..go back to PFT. we’re cool over here.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

1.) Stop with the passion thing. Exerting passion for your teams does not mean that you have to be uncivil.
      2.) This is a baseball blog, written by a baseball blogger/fan, commented on by baseball fans. Why would you think he went to and was beaten up at an Eagles game?
      3.) The Braves colors are red white and blue. Craig, if your crap is in any of those colors—particularly blue, but that may just be me—I would go see a doctor.
      4.) I’m kinda at a loss as to your last two sentences, if only because I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say there.

As a fellow Philly sports fan, I’m going to have to agree with IdahoMariner here, and say go back to PFT.

• chadjones27 - May 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He’s probably the same type of fan that thinks Cliff Lee came to Philly for $5 trillion less than the Yankees offered him.

• hgulkkcaj - May 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

tackledummy = the stereotypical Philly fan Craig speaks of.

4. seeinred87 - May 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

You know, at first I was kind of amused by how defensive the Philly fans get at this type of stuff, but then I remembered how I feel when people say ignorant shit about Detroit, even as a joke.

5. buffalomafia - May 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wow! Why do some people write a bibliography instead of getting to the point?

Some of you need to take a class called make a long story short 101!

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

So…a list of books and their publication info at the end of a book doesn’t get to the point? Hmm…

Do you know of a place that has such a class?

6. btwicey - May 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Bahahahahahaha

7. dotdashx4 - May 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Author sounds pretty bitter.

• rarson - May 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Everyone outside of Philly is pretty bitter about Philly fan behavior.

8. mgdsquiggy17 - May 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM

“But under no circumstances are you to suggest that Philly fans may behave in ways they have behaved in the past and, if they do, you should never ever point it out, because that makes you a hater.”

How many times have you pointed out everything other cities fans have done? Do you go thru and list all the stupid crap fans in LA or NY or Boston have done anytime there is an incident?

9. drewsylvania - May 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I hope to never again hear a blogger say “Don’t feed the trolls”.

10. craigisaloser - May 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Oh Craig….I wanted to email you to spit some venom your way but after a quick google search to find an address I saw your picture. God has been cruel enough.

11. ridgeavenuehr - May 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

When I was younger, I pitched a battery at a right fielder. He picked it up and threw it back at me, chipping my tooth. If that were today, I’d sue that bastard.

• spellingcops - May 28, 2012 at 3:29 AM

That makes you a worthless piece of shit. It’s ok if you throw it at the person that uses his talents to become rich, but if he throws it at your minimum wage making pathetic ass, you’re going to sue him. It’s fucks like you that are ruining this country.

12. greej1938l - May 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Sounds like you know what everyone should say and when buddy…

13. dannythebisforbeast - May 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Is this a paying gig Craig? If so where do I apply? I could easily write a paragraph or two and try to incense certain fan bases for maximum comments and response without actually writing anything of significance. Honestly if I was your employer i would be embarrassed at
    Your sophomoric and blatant attempt to get a rise out of people. Someone should throw a snowball/battery at you, then cheer while your on the ground injured, puke on you as your being put in an ambulance and shoot roman candles at you as your being carted away

14. schaffershokai - May 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Someone ought to tell Bryce how it really is, or do this to him: http://youtu.be/UVspaHILMZ4

Orioles turn AL East on its head