Bryce Harper on Phillies fans: “Hopefully they don’t throw batteries at me”

May 21, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Getty Images

Before we get to Bryce Harper’s quote, something Cole Hamels said to Bob Nightengale of USA Today regarding the Nationals and Harper is wroth some scrutiny:

“Yeah, I accidentally stirred the pot,” Hamels told USA TODAY Sports. “It was unintentional. But that’s just the way it happens sometimes.”

OK, now it’s unintentional? So … you weren’t practicing Old School, Prestigious Baseball after all? Whatever, dude. For what it’s worth, Hamels does admit that his aim of plunking Harper backfired and that Harper showed him what he was made of, so I guess there’s peace on that front.

But maybe not with the fans, as Harper is stirring the pot himself:

Harper, 19, seems to know, and relish, what might await him in Philly. “Hopefully I get a couple boos,” he said. “I’m excited to get up there and play. Hopefully they don’t throw any batteries at me.”

158 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. phillynac - May 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Every cites has had the same incidents. It is just morons like this writer who chooses only to write about Philly fans. Although lazy inaccurate writers is what this site is all about.

• biasedhomer - May 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You have to remember, these are just bloggers. If they were more talented, they would not be here.

• mox19380 - May 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM

exactly there is a reason why Florio over at profootballtalk.com reports on NBC sunday night football. He calls it like he sees it and doesn’t allow his bias’ show through.

• dondada10 - May 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Mox, you can’t be serious….

2. neveraboutveracity - May 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

If batteries are thrown, they should be AA, because that is where he belongs.

• paperlions - May 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Nice to see your screen name match the content of the posts.

3. acdc84 - May 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Say what you want about Philly fans. At least they care. As a Dodger fan I wish my fellow fans cared half as much about our team.

• CJ - May 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

well, you can take solace in the fact that your fellow Dodger fans care about fender benders!

4. darthsat - May 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

“Except I don’t sit and say “all Phillies fans do this.” What I do is point out when things happen. When they do happen, Phillies fans get hyper defensive about me pointing out the things that actually occurred, much in the way I poked fun of them for doing in the post above.”

You say this, and yet it is the very paragraph in said post above that we are commenting on. It isn’t poor journalism to inform readers of stadium violence when it happens, it is tripe to flame and repeatedly call your readers such as facts121 “asshats” and other derogatory terms for things we have nothing to do with. While you call it poking fun, when so many national writers harp on it for decades, it really fuels so much animosity towards innocent people. In recent memory from this site, I can remember a commenter suggesting nuking Philthadelphia to rid the country of its fans.

A writer’s “poking fun” comments can lead to this much animosity towards people from the same country as each other. Facts121 put it best in asking why you think it’s appropriate as a writer to ridicule and promote hostility against your readers.

5. xmatt0926x - May 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

“I wish someone would tell Harper how this works. How it’s wrong, wrong, wrong to stereotype Philly fans like that. Yes, they’ve thrown batteries at people and have committed all manner of fan asshattery one can think of, but when they do it, you’re not supposed to say anything about it. You’re supposed to say “hey, that’s an unfair stereotype,” and then note how sometimes fans of other teams do bad things too. Oh, and when fans of other teams do things you’re supposed to jump out of your skin to say “Can you imagine what would happen if that happened in Philly? The haters would be all over us!”

But under no circumstances are you to suggest that Philly fans may behave in ways they have behaved in the past and, if they do, you should never ever point it out, because that makes you a hater.”

Craig, you report what Harper said and then you proceed to go on with the above paragraph for no reason. Yeah, I can see why you don’t understand why all the “defensive” philly fans get on you when you’re just “reporting the facts”. Keep staying above it all Craig. You’re an example to us all..

6. buffalomafia - May 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

What about “D” batteries? One time I seen a hot ass woman wearing a Brady jersey in Buffalo & they threw beer, popcorn & hotdogs @ her! That was funny!!!

• natstowngreg - May 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

As a long-time Bills fan, I’d like to apologize for the above commenter. Most Bills fans aren’t that obnoxious.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

No broad brush here.

• natstowngreg - May 21, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Indeed. Same as for Philles fans.

7. Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Meh.

Bryce Harper says something akin to what was expected of him, after Hamels plunked him for no reason. Craig mentions it—though he did use the vague, yet all encompassing “Philly fans,” and not Phillies fans (sp). (No, Craig, not saying “all” does not help your case here, and you know it. Perception trumps intent or meaning on blogs and other similar outlets.) The trap is set with the bait—for both Philly fans, as well as fans of other teams, not to mention trolls, who see an opportunity to come rip Philly fans…again. Oversensitive Philly fans get their ire up, come on and rip Craig and other fans, and away we go.

Again, I say, meh.

8. Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

So, if I just linked Harper’s quote, I am to assume no one would make a comment to the effect that Harper is being unfair and picking on Phillies fans? There wouldn’t be two dozen Phillies fans here talking about how unfair it is that people think of them as they type that would throw batteries?

I seem to think there would have been. I base that not on stereotypes, but on every single comment thread we’ve ever had here on the topic. Which is why I attempted to preempt it in the post itself.

• biasedhomer - May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If you linked just Harper’s quote, people would be criticizing just Harper. If you read through the comments, Harper is not the subject of most comments, it is the author of this article. Last I checked, this is a website about baseball, it is part of your duty to keep it that way, but right now, the conversations are about you.

• cleverbob - May 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

You know the quality of the commenters here. Granted, it’s no where near as bad as over on PFT or PHT, but certain folks just feel a need to paint Philadelphia with broad brush strokes and take every opportunity to do so. I don’t get where this intense anger stems from, when many of these people have never even visited Philadelphia and know very little about it.

So yes, we’re defensive. I have civic pride, and when people denigrate my hometown (and not just the fans of my home teams) I won’t take it lightly.

• xmatt0926x - May 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yes, there would be some Philly fans who get defensive and I didn’t dispute that. I’m just saying now what I’ve said in the past. Just don’t pretend to be above the fray when you have admitted on this site that you do go out of your way to troll Philly fans and also do what you did today and add a paragraph and a half of extra trash talk in addition to the actual quote you were reporting on and then go into your “look at the defensive Philly fans!” routine. Your usual Philly fan stuff is usually funny but when you start climbing on your high horse in response to the “defensive” fans it seems like hypocrisy. Just my opinion.

• CJ - May 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

To be clear, I have no problem with what Harper said or your writing an article about it. I just question the timing of why you needed to go on with that 2nd paragraph on the same day where the thing in LA happened. This drew a lot of attention and outrage away from a current event (as opposed to what? 10 years ago), which was not fair to the man that was beaten, or to the dozen or so Philly fans on here that actually care about our national perception.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I wrote this post and had it live before I even knew about the Dodgers thing (one of the first comments alerted me to it). But I don’t really see how that matters.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Philly fans get all defensive when the media repeatedly brings up this stuff. They don’t care what the athletes say nearly as much.

Werth’s comments last year aren’t brought up except in response to a visit by him. His comments from a few weeks ago have yet to get any repeat play, since he’s out.

Harper’s comments are in response to the fallout from Hamels idiotic plunking of him. They’ll most likely be forgotten after tonight’s game, and if not, definitely by the time they leave town. Of course, that’s until they’re dredged up again before the next visit.

The media is always there. Not the players.

9. mungman69 - May 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Is Bryce Harper playing tonight?

10. stex52 - May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Craig, nothing wrong with a little fun trolling, but this was a little obvious.

And I agree with some of the comments above. I’m starting to like this Harper kid. Nothing like having an attitude and backing it up.

11. mikeb119 - May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

We come out to defend ourselves because there doesn’t have to be an incident to happen for someone to start talking about how awful Philly fans are. “You should never point it out.” Well maybe because it was 2 fans and it was 13 years ago.

You posted an article about a man killed outside CBP, but that did not happen during or following a sporting event in Philadelphia.

“Asshattery” does happen everywhere. Even in your town, Craig. In case Atlanta fans missed it, and judging by the attendance, you did, a fan ran on the field.

• mikeb119 - May 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

crap, wrong link

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dumbass.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Yes. Apparently you are.

12. OchentaYcinco - May 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I know the trick here is to say Phillies fans will get annoyed that this kind of stuff doesn’t get attention elsewhere, and then point and laugh when it happens, but guhhhh, I’m just tired of it.

Kid runs on the field and gets tased in Philly –> National conversation
    3-on-1 family assault of a security guard in Pittsburgh leading to the guard losing an appendage –> A handful blog posts, and 3 years from now it’ll be brought up and people will think it happened in Philly

Realize that this kid is jokingly saying “I hope this doesn’t happen” and we’re treating it like it already did. Someone up there had it right – no matter where it happens it’s representative of such a small percentage of any fanbase that each incident is indicative of nothing except the effects of alcohol.

Except that Pittsburgh thing. Three people is 20-30% of the paying crowd on most nights.

13. darthsat - May 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Harper is just a 19 year old kid who has spent his days learning the game and mashing the ball at every level growing up. He doesn’t spend time contemplating in this stuff. He likely just hears the same drivel sports bloggers have been posting since he was born in the early nineties and just commented on what he views as a joke.

Fans are consumers if sports entertainment and have the right to boo the product in the field.

Harper has an excuse of being a kid who is just trash talking and joking. You are a grown adult who should be in touch with the fabric of our times and that it is not ok to promote hatred of fellow sports fans who have done nothing but passionately and civility behaved in the stands. Promotion that leads to casual comments about nuking fellow Americans and proclaiming American cities as trash.

So to answer your question, no you shouldn’t expect fans to comment negatively to the article with just Harper’s quote. But that doesn’t mean that you should spit fire yourself from your position.

14. delawarephilliesfan - May 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I realize rational discourse has no place here – but I was at the game in which JD Drew had a battery thrown at him. Never noticed it happening. Nor did my friend, who is a Pirates fan and Phllies loather. Nor did anyone within ear shot of me – easily 200 fans.

What everyone did notice was thousands and thousands of fans verbally making it known they did not like JD Drew. That is what Bryce Harper will find tonight, but pot stirrers like Craig will choose to focus on what they want to focus on

15. drewsylvania - May 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I’ve been scoring at home:

Lawrie: helmet-throwing saint
    Harper: “bad attitude” and “should be in AA”

Got it.

16. smackingfools - May 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The kid is the real deal. Might end up being the best ever if he stays healthy. And I don’t say that lightly. The guy can flat out play.

• drewsylvania - May 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM

People do compare him to Mantle. But he (obviously) would need to fully realize his potential, then keep it for 18 years.

17. phillyson - May 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Gotta love this guy. Listen to his defense. He has always objectively covered all incidents that occur in all parks. Look through the archives and find all the cases where he uses ass shattery and expends more lines sarcastically ripping a fan base than actually “reporting” a story. His defense is weak and transparent. The only reason I even read these “reports” is because I like to read the NBC sportstalk app while I take a dump. If this were on paper, I wouldn’t hesitate to make better use of it. Also, how are we supposed to respect the opinions of a “writer” when he can’t proofread his two paragraph stories? I can’t tell you how many of these stories have terrible punctuation, grammar, and unintentionally omitted words.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

If it upsets you, perhaps you shouldn’t read it.

• biasedhomer - May 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

How do you know it will upset you until you read it?

• drewsylvania - May 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

It’s a blog post–standards are low, and most people don’t care.

Since we’re bashing, I’m pretty sure no one wants to see any image of you going to the bathroom.

18. phillyson - May 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

@eyebrows, way to bring something to the table. Your insight and wit is unmatched. With a great name like chip caray’s eyebrows ( honestly think it is funny, but not as good as utley’s hair ), I expect better than “maybe you shouldn’t read it”.

19. andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Every cites has had the same incidents.

—————————————————————

No they really don’t. Philly fans just take things a little too far. You guys don’t really play for the teams you watch. It’s ok if they lose or if someone makes fun of your team. Stop always wanting to fight the other fan base to prove your worth and get lives.

• cleverbob - May 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Willful ignorance. Bring together 45,000 people from any part of the country, add alcohol, and you can expect a handful of them to make fools of themselves. Even if it’s only a quarter of a percentage point, that’s over a hundred people.

• delawarephilliesfan - May 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Does gettin on with our lives include making fun of people that are over weight?

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM

no—getting lives is a big difference than getting on with your life. I love overweight people . I just like teasing about andy reid because the philly fans take it so personally like i am abusing their dad. that’s why i say get lives because you live and die for people you cannot control and who you do not know. very sad.

• delawarephilliesfan - May 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Sorry, I didn’t realize “fat” was compliment. My mistake.

Carry on with your moral high road

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

will do you crazy little phillies fan. did u get your freddy galvis haircut yet?

• delawarephilliesfan - May 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You are going to have to try a little harder than that

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Wow-you have a galvis haircut. i knew it.

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

very quiet after the galvis haircut remark–ey there faux hawk boy. did you go to dc for the phils vs nats game trying to take over the park ? you know you went up there and wore camoflauge phillies stuff like you were going to war with the nats fans over the stadium. You were trying to get the let’s go phillies chants going the whole game. man you love the phils. good job.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

1.) You obviously don’t know how much of an anti-Andy contingent there is around here.
        2.) You’re an idiot.
        3.) The game is at the Bank, not in DC.
        4.) You’re an idiot.

After a given amount of time, back-and-forth with someone as brilliant as you are tends to feel like banging your head against a wall. Why not go back to PFT?

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Contingent can’t be that big because my name hurts alot of eagle ‘s fans deeply. and genius i was referring to the games in dc. a few weeks back. you are a typical philly sports fan. not very bright, emotional, and jaded. I go to wherever there seems to be the most philly tools to mess with. it took me a little longer than normal today but i got one of you guys to melt down due to your “passion” for your little teams. you are just another victim utley’s hair. don’t feel bad though i’m just that much smarter than you that i can get you to break.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Riiiight…. Meltdown? And just who was doing the melting down, moron? Not me.

Sadly—for andyreidisarrogantandfat, anyway—I’m done acknowledging that this troll exists. Feel free to respond or not. I won’t be. Go back to PFT, jagoff.

• andyreidisarrogantandfat - May 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM

very angry. typical. go back to your mom’s basement and fire up the bong.

20. elgorditodehumboldt - May 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Mike Trout > Bryce Harper

21. teamo68 - May 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

This is a bright, talented kid. His comment about the batteries was probably tongue-in-cheek. Yes, it’s a small number of Phillies fans who give the base a bad wrap. But, you have to admit, Phillies knuckleheads stand out much more than most clubs. Then again, I never recall Phillies fans jumping out of the crowd and attacking an opposing team’s first base coach. That’s right ChiSox fans, I’m looking at you!

22. Tim OShenko - May 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Well played, Craig. Truly you are a master baiter.

23. phillyphan83 - May 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Once again, Craig doesn’t know how to use spell-check and proof read his posts. Amateur hour continues…

24. Chris Fiorentino - May 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Craig, as your #1 fan and the #1 Phillies fan on the board, I usually have a good laugh when you do what you do best…bait us Phillies fans. When I first came here, it irked me, but then I got your schtick and realized that you are just being funny and bringing in the two factions(phillies-haters vs phillies-fans) and letting us go off on each other. And it’s all in good fun. Always.

Today, my first reaction was “What a dickish article”. Judging by all the thumbs downs you have been getting, I think you managed to even piss off some of the phillies-haters. I hope you are just on some meds or something and today is just a bad day because this crap is beneath you. This sounds like something frankzappa or cupopizza would have written.

• cleverbob - May 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Or their unholy offspring, cup0zappa.

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM

That made me laugh out loud, while vomiting in my mouth simultaneously. So, bravo, and what the hell is wrong with you?!?

25. thesixersbench - May 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Guys, take it easy. I mean, what could this guy possibly be getting paid? Cut him a break.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4102)