Cardinals GM: No evidence of ACL tear for Lance Berkman

May 21, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT

Lance Berkman Getty Images

Maybe some good news for St. Louis: GM John Mozeliak said Monday that an MRI showed only a meniscus tear in Lance Berkman‘s knee. There was no ACL damage evident.

Berkman is expected to get a second opinion. Mozeliak said there remains “some uncertainty” about the actual condition of Berkman’s knee. An ACL tear has not been ruled out.

Mozeliak indicated that if the meniscus tear is the main problem in the knee, then Berkman could return in 6-8 weeks.

Berkman is expected to land on the disabled list regardless. With Allen Craig also out, the Cardinals will use Matt Adams and Matt Carpenter at first base.

1. fearlessleader - May 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Puma’s just one of the best all-around mensches in the game; after years of fearing him when he wore an Astros uniform, I’ve been amazed and delighted at how quickly he’s become part of the Cardinal family.

This is that rare instance when my thinking is zero percent “I hope he can come back because we need his bat” and one hundred percent “I just want the guy to be able to retire when he wants to and not a minute sooner.” Good luck and get well.

• stlouis1baseball - May 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I am right there with you Fearless.
      Let’s hope it’s a tear of the meniscus so LANCE can decide when he wants to hang em’ up.

2. paperlions - May 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

People believe in a lot of things for which there is no evidence. I am generally immune to such beliefs, but I think I will take this opportunity to make an exception.

Despite no evidence that Berkman has a torn ACL, I will continue to believe it is torn….that way, at least I won’t be disappointed if it turns out to be so.

• stex52 - May 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I’m sure you really won’t mind if I hope you are dead wrong. I’m with fearless. I would love him to go out on his own terms. He is unlikely to hang in long enough to make the HOF, but he should go with his head up. But a meniscus tear does seem a very optimistic reading, when you see how he went down.

• paperlions - May 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Was the sarcasm and irony too much? I guess so.

• stex52 - May 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Not particularly in my case. I got it. Just responding with my own thoughts.

• paperlions - May 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Cool….just checking. Sarcasm or irony are hard to convey in written form without much context….I tried to make is super sarcastic hoping people would assume ironic usage in the second part….then decided to give it away with an add on just in case.

3. geshtahl - May 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM

While I agree with the idea of him leaving on his own terms, the sad reality is that those perfect narratives rarely work out. That being said, I hope he’s OK. It’s never cool to see a guy’s career end this way. Get well soon Puma!

4. rico7207 - May 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

What a joke. So now this broken down old man can keep stealing his pay check. Not a cent of mine though. Only suckers pay for this trash!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3504)