May 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Cody Ross, who’s been playing every day in the Red Sox’s outfield because of injuries to Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury, is now joining them on the disabled list with a fractured bone in his left foot.
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but manager Bobby Valentine indicated to reporters that the Red Sox definitely expect him to play again this season.
Ross was hitting .271 with eight homers and an .883 OPS in 37 games, so taking his bat out of the lineup is a big loss and the Red Sox’s outfield is now extremely thin. However, one non-negative to the injury is that it makes things easier on the Red Sox when it comes to activating Kevin Youkilis from the DL, which can now presumably be done without sending Will Middlebrooks back to the minors and may lead to one of them–or perhaps even Adrian Gonzalez–seeing action in the outfield.
That’s just me speculating, of course, and in the meantime the Red Sox are starting Daniel Nava, Marlon Byrd, and Che-Hsuan Lin in the outfield tonight versus the Orioles. And outfielders now on Boston’s disabled list include Ross, Crawford, Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald, Jason Repko, and Ryan Kalish.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 24
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (206)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)