May 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Cody Ross, who’s been playing every day in the Red Sox’s outfield because of injuries to Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury, is now joining them on the disabled list with a fractured bone in his left foot.
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but manager Bobby Valentine indicated to reporters that the Red Sox definitely expect him to play again this season.
Ross was hitting .271 with eight homers and an .883 OPS in 37 games, so taking his bat out of the lineup is a big loss and the Red Sox’s outfield is now extremely thin. However, one non-negative to the injury is that it makes things easier on the Red Sox when it comes to activating Kevin Youkilis from the DL, which can now presumably be done without sending Will Middlebrooks back to the minors and may lead to one of them–or perhaps even Adrian Gonzalez–seeing action in the outfield.
That’s just me speculating, of course, and in the meantime the Red Sox are starting Daniel Nava, Marlon Byrd, and Che-Hsuan Lin in the outfield tonight versus the Orioles. And outfielders now on Boston’s disabled list include Ross, Crawford, Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald, Jason Repko, and Ryan Kalish.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners