May 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Cody Ross, who’s been playing every day in the Red Sox’s outfield because of injuries to Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury, is now joining them on the disabled list with a fractured bone in his left foot.
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but manager Bobby Valentine indicated to reporters that the Red Sox definitely expect him to play again this season.
Ross was hitting .271 with eight homers and an .883 OPS in 37 games, so taking his bat out of the lineup is a big loss and the Red Sox’s outfield is now extremely thin. However, one non-negative to the injury is that it makes things easier on the Red Sox when it comes to activating Kevin Youkilis from the DL, which can now presumably be done without sending Will Middlebrooks back to the minors and may lead to one of them–or perhaps even Adrian Gonzalez–seeing action in the outfield.
That’s just me speculating, of course, and in the meantime the Red Sox are starting Daniel Nava, Marlon Byrd, and Che-Hsuan Lin in the outfield tonight versus the Orioles. And outfielders now on Boston’s disabled list include Ross, Crawford, Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald, Jason Repko, and Ryan Kalish.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)