Dmitri Young sold his baseball card collection for $2.5 million

May 21, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

dmitri young getty Getty Images

There are about six things awesome about this story, but suffice it to say that the fact that Dmitri Young had a kickass baseball card collection is the awesomest. Now it’s gone, he got $2.5 million for it, and he’s using a portion of that for charity.

Not so awesome: a reminder that Robert Fick hit the last home run in Tiger Stadium history. Man, no one likes Robert Fick, do they?  Maybe Young does. He owns the bat and might sell that too someday.

Anyway, all kinds of fun here. Especially the pic of Young at his desk holding up the Roberto Clemente rookie he used to own.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Why is he at confession in the photo? It is sinful to sell the Clemente card?

2. mybrunoblog - May 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Agreed. Very cool story. I recall Gary Carter being a big baseball card collector too.
    In the same auction David Wells sold his Babe Ruth cap for a half million $. Pretty good return. He paid $35k for it 15 years ago.

3. tycobb420 - May 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Wow, that’s super cool. Also this: Young looks more like an athlete while sitting behind that desk with his card collection than he ever did while playing. He’s in great shape. How often does that happen, I wonder.

4. bigleagues - May 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I still have my Clemens and McGuire Rookie Cards for anyone interested in making an offer. Mint Condition.

Anyone? Anyone?

Hello? (tap,tap) Is this thing working?

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

What % of the time would you guys say Mark McGwire’s name is spelled correctly? 4%? 6%?

I know the man upset some people by breaking a record they held sacred, but the willful ignorance when it comes to spelling his name has to stop.

• bigleagues - May 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

This from a proclaimed fan of John Mabry.

I have a built in excuse – I have a friend from college, Matt, who spells it that way. It’s not willful as I didn’t intend to spell it incorrectly.

I don’t even know why I’m responding to this. I’m not here to discuss the past…

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Believe me, bigleagues, I’m not just picking on you. It’s been driving me nuts for a while and you just happened to be the latest example.

There will come a day when I’ll tell the Mabry story, but suffice it to say, I’m not a fan. I’m just wary.

5. samu0034 - May 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I was gonna mention the same thing, tycobb. Young looks like he’s lost a tremendous amount of weight, good for him. Wish I could say the same about myself.

• ezthinking - May 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

He had too with his diabetes raging out of control. Looks good though.

• natstowngreg - May 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

When Dmitri was a Nat, the RFK scoreboard listed him at 286 pounds. We would chuckle at that; no way he was only 286. Glad to hear he’s finally got all that extra weight off.

BTW, when Dmitri was attempting to play 1B for the Nats, Robert Fick was his late-inning “defensive replacement.” Too often, the Nats would get a lead, Fick would come in at IB, they would lose the lead, and Fick would be hitting (or rather, not hitting) in a critical situation instead of Dmitri.

6. proudlycanadian - May 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I hope that he does not have to pay a lot of taxes on his profits.

• hansob - May 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM

profits? Not exactly…

Young’s collection of rookie cards, which took him plenty of years and cash (nearly $5 million) to put together, was considered perhaps the best of its kind in the world.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120520/SPORTS0104/205200317#ixzz1vWPGWf5B

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

7. xmatt0926x - May 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Everyone should make sure they click the link Craig provided. When I did the first thing I saw was a picture of what I thought must be the son of Dmitri Young holding one of the cards. I did a double take when I read the caption below the pic which stated that the pic was of Dmitri himself. Holy crap! He looks like a 150 lb kid. Nice weight loss story in addition to the card story.

8. phillyphan83 - May 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

bigleagues, I’ll give you $2.00 for them…OK make it $2.00 apiece. Tainted records my man, those cards are garbage now. You should have sold them 5 years ago.

9. bigjimatch - May 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM

What is with the cover picture of Dmitri in a confessional?

10. unlost1 - May 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Aint no way a Dmitri card is worth $110 and $66 like the story says. YOU CAN GET THEM ON AMAZON FOR about 100 TIMES LESS

• proudlycanadian - May 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Are those cards on Amazon real or fakes?

11. stlouis1baseball - May 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Wow. $2.5 Million. And I thought my buddy made a killing off his about 20 – 25 years ago when he sold his to purchase his first car. He had Mantle, DiMaggio, Rose, Clemente…you name it.
    If only he still had them.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5534)