May 21, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
I haven’t been following too closely, but I’m pretty sure Mark Teixeira has 19th-century-style consumption. Like, he was coughing blood into a frilly handkerchief when it was discovered by his chambermaid who ran down the hall exclaiming “the master has taken ill!”
But seriously, whatever has caused his inflamed airways, it’s been bad and has caused him to miss several games. He’s back in the lineup tonight, however. Hitting seventh which, while something he hasn’t done for a while, is more befitting his recent production.
Of course there’s a pretty decent chance that tonight’s game is going to see some serious rain, so it may not happen. It’s the thought that counts, though.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17