MLB dropping the white Memorial Day/Fourth of July caps, going with camouflage logos

May 21, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

Brewers camo cap

The past couple of years MLB has put their players in white caps with red white and blue logos on them for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and September 11th. This year they’re doing something different: normally-colored caps, but the logo has a camouflage logo in it.

You can see them here. I’m not sure what I think about them aesthetically — this one is particularly interesting — but it beats the white ones, which I never really liked.

Of course, aesthetics aren’t the most important thing here. All net proceeds of the caps go to the Welcome Back Veterans Fund, which addresses the needs of returning veterans and their families.

1. skids003 - May 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM

As long as the proceeds go to the vets, anything is OK. I agree with you Craig.

• skids003 - May 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

And what kind of a**hole would thumbs down that ?

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The kind that hang out on this site apparently.

2. 18thstreet - May 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I want to be supportive of a good cause, but that is one ugly hat.

• marshmallowsnake - May 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Is there even a logo? I could not see it. How are we going to identify the teams if we cannot see their hat logos?

3. zakharovsa - May 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I have no objection to the proceeds supporting Welcome Back Veterans. But still, it annoys me that we’ve gone ahead and decided that every US-centric holiday is apparently about the military. Memorial Day, I can understand wearing a military-centric cap. But why July 4th? Why 9/11? There’s so much more to those days than “support our troops.”

There’s so much more of America, past and present, that we could be celebrating on July 4th. The military isn’t the only important part of our history.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Well, who would you like to celebrate on the 4th?

I’m sure Aldrich Ames could use some love.

• angrycorgi - May 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Here are the Federal holidays:
      ….
      New Year’s Day (not about the military)
      Martin Luther King, Jr’s Birthday (not about the military)
      Presidents Day (not about the military)
      *Memorial Day (military themes)
      *Independence Day (military themes)
      Labor Day (not about the military)
      Columbus Day (not about the military)
      *Veterans Day (military themes)
      Thanksgiving Day (not about the military)
      Christmas (not about the military)
      ….
      I count 3 out of 10 federal holidays that have military overtones. Memorial Day and Veterans Day are no-brainers. You can blame King George III for there being military themes during Independence Day. After all, he required us to fight to gain our independence. Canada attained their Independence through legislation. Same with Australia.

• mrfloydpink - May 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Actually, he said U.S.-centric holidays, not federal holidays. New Year’s, Labor Day, Columbus Day, and Christmas are all international, at least to some extent. Ergo, there are six holidays on your list, and 50% are military themed.

You could also argue for Presidents’ Day having military overtones (the president is the commander in chief, and Lincoln/Washington are both famous for their actions in times of war) while Thanksgiving certainly seems to have a pretty serious military component these days (I always see shots of guys on military bases in Afghanistan eating turkey and watching the Cowboys lose via satellite).

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Columbus Day, …are all international, at least to some extent

Is it really? Honest question, truly.

• mrfloydpink - May 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Columbus is mostly an American holiday, but he is also commemorated in some other places in the world, most obviously Italy and Spain. Not necessarily on the same date, though.

That said, I would also regard Columbus day as only a semi-holiday. It may be on the federal government’s list, but it is the one that is least likely to be recognized by non-government employers. I don’t think it’s even a school holiday in most places.

4. mybrunoblog - May 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

The whole G I Joe look seems pretty tired and worn out. Furthermore MLB seems to forget Memorial Day is to honor fallen veterans nothing more. Veterans day is reserved for military vets.
    I,d like to see MLB simply write a check to our vets charities and skip the gratuitous camo and flag look.

• hasbeen5 - May 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Well Veteran’s Day is not during baseball season, so I have no problem with them showing support for a good cause on a different but related day.

5. kellyb9 - May 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

And just when I thought the Marlins logo couldn’t look any worse.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You were deluded in your optimism if you ever really thought that. Take a gander at Tommy over in deep left center. That’s how bad it might eventually look.

6. angrycorgi - May 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I agree that the $$$ going to vets is priority #1, but surely aesthetics is a distant 2nd on the list, no?? Did we only have time to hit the first priority?

• deathmonkey41 - May 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ummm, couldn’t they have done both?

7. pbannard - May 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Is it just me, or is it particularly offensive to see the camo version of Chief Wahoo?

• deathmonkey41 - May 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Aren’t the Indians hats just the C logo nowdays?

• IdahoMariner - May 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

For this, they have one of each. (see Craig’s link)

• angrycorgi - May 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing…its not just you. On a side note, the Pirate’s “P” logo and color combo looks probably the best with the camo. My Rangers are represented by possible the 2nd or 3rd ugliest setup. The “T” looks terrible like that on the blue/red background. Just hideous!

8. airedale1950 - May 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM

For the Vets is all that is important in this case…except, while we are on the subject of hats, I’d like to suggest one more idea.
    How about a raffle to stick a grenade (or small nuclear weapon) into one of those stupid gang promoting ghetto MLB team hats…along with the person(s) who allowed them to be sanctioned by MLB?

9. icanspeel - May 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM

It’s good to see they are supporting the military. Even though they don’t appear popular with everyone I always loved the Padres camo uniforms, they go all out to support the military which is awesome

10. karaterobot - May 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Can’t wait to proudly don the logo of my favorite Minnesota Brewers.

• nolanwiffle - May 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Those damn summer interns!

• angrycorgi - May 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

LOL…nice catch!

11. Pete - May 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Craig, when you say “you can see them here”, I hope you realize that you’re defeating the purpose.

12. JB (the original) - May 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Hard to even see the camo on a lot of those hats, but for aesthetic purposes, I wonder why they couldn’t have used the Army, Marine, Air Force camo (with the greens, tans, etc.) on hats for teams that have black, green, yellow, tan in their “colors” and the new Navy work uniform camo (with black, navy blue, gray) for teams that have blue or red based team colors….

13. dowhatifeellike - May 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Why does it have to be camo? I think we’d do better to honor our fallen warriors by flying the stars and bars; that’s what they fought and died for. Camo is just what they wore while doing it.

• nolanwiffle - May 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I think you mean Stars & Stripes……..unless you were alluding to Johnny Reb.

• dowhatifeellike - May 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Yes, that’s what I meant. The rhyme was stuck in my head.

14. rcali - May 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I can’t see the cap, where is it?

15. hojo20 - May 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yeah I’m going to pay $40 for a hat. Insane.

16. reriredusaf - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

mrfloydplnk…move to canada! Better yet, move to England. Next time you happen to be in Iraq eating some turkey, watching a football game before you go back to your 12 hour shift…that you have been working since you arrived in the shit hole you are in…then hippy put your 2 cents on here, until then, next time you see a person in a military uniform just tell them thanks for what they do for this nation.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2559)