May 21, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said earlier this evening that Feliz has a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He won’t throw for four weeks, but he could be shut down for longer.
7:36 PM: The Rangers placed Neftali Feliz on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon with right elbow inflammation. While an MRI revealed no structural damage in the elbow, it will be a while before we see him back in the big leagues.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine said this afternoon that Feliz will be shut down for a month. He’ll resume a throwing program after that, but assuming that he’ll likely need at least a couple minor league rehab starts, that places his return somewhere around the All-Star break. And that’s assuming no setbacks.
Feliz, who is making the transition from closer to starting pitcher, has a 3.16 ERA and 37/23 K/BB ratio over 42 2/3 innings this season. Scott Feldman will fill his spot in the starting rotation for now.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)