May 21, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Missed this over the weekend, but Pat the Bat said goodbye to Philadelphia on Saturday, throwing out the first pitch a day after officially retiring.
CSNPhilly.com has a nice story about his farewell. Burrell was clearly appreciative of the honor. And even got misty when he saw the granddaughters of the late John Vukovich there to greet him. And the reception from the fans was warm too. I bet even these guys cheered for him.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)