Pat Burrell said goodbye to Philly on Friday

May 21, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT

Burrell first pitch

Missed this over the weekend, but Pat the Bat said goodbye to Philadelphia on Saturday, throwing out the first pitch a day after officially retiring.

CSNPhilly.com has a nice story about his farewell.  Burrell was clearly appreciative of the honor. And even got misty when he saw the granddaughters of the late John Vukovich there to greet him.  And the reception from the fans was warm too.  I bet even these guys cheered for him.

1. drmonkeyarmy - May 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Then proceeded to get shit faced drunk, dance without a shirt on (but with a blazer on), and stiff the bartender out of a tip. Classic Pat. I think most people around the city have some sort of drunk Pat stories.

• wetmorepsu12 - May 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

i wonder how many coeds got Burrelled this weekend.

• cleverbob - May 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I think to get Burrelled is synonymous with being cuckolded. The coeds just got plowed…

• cleverbob - May 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

To be fair, I’m told he was dancing on the bar when shirtless. To keep one’s shirt on while dancing on the bar would be tacky.

2. The Baseball Gods - May 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Hey look, it’s Craigs’ “I just dissed Phillies fans, but I’ll quickly do a nice fluff piece to make it look like I’m not a total douche” post.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Wait, you didn’t think the link to the pic of the Philly fans jeering Burrell was a dig? I sorta considered it to be a subtle dig.

Or you could also possibly acknowledge that I write all manner of things about the Phillies that aren’t intended to diss them.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM

In fairness to Craig, he really does call it like he sees it regarding the team and their players. I’ve never detected any type of bias in that regards. Now, he does like to troll the phan base at large for shits and giggles. I’m pretty sure he even admitted as much at some point in the past.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Oh yeah. And in case I haven’t been clear, he’s right: I really do troll the fans for shits and giggles.

As far as admiration for the team and stuff goes, I actually love Charlie Manuel, I have a pretty evident man-crush on Roy Halladay (have written about this often) and I can’t think of a single player on that team I dislike even in the mild way one dislikes ballplayers. And I’ve written way, way more critical crap of the Braves as a team than the Phillies. If anything, I have to be prodded to give my Braves a fair shake.

It’s all about the fan base for me. You all are fun to mess with and you take yourself so goddamn seriously, that I can’t help myself.

• Jonny 5 - May 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Am I going to have to stop pretending to be offended? I sure hope not.

3. drmonkeyarmy - May 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Oh and one more thing: Free the ‘Cepts!!!

• Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Dude, sentiment is clearly against it. Which I actually think is amusing ‘Cepts to no end.

• CJ - May 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

He made some poor choices, but most of his stuff was either hilarious, incomprehensible, or no worse than many of the trolls here can come up with, or some combination thereof. I change my vote to bring back the cepts, for posterity’s sake.

#OccupyCraig’sLawn

• Francisco (FC) - May 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

#OccupyCraig’sLair

FTFY

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Can a lair have a lawn? I pictured it more like a cave.

• Jonny 5 - May 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

A Lair can have an indoor lawn only I think. Ask Batman.

• Jonny 5 - May 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

A green rug made from the Pelts of Phanatics?

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Bite your tongue, man!!!! No hunting of the Phanatic!!!!! EVER!!! Despite the fact that the Phanatic hangs out with the kids…and the women…with no pants…

• heyblueyoustink - May 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Maybe we can get shirts made, Like the “Free Urbina” shirts that were floating around CBP for a while.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Never understood that. I mean, Urbina tried to pour gasoline and hack people up with a machete. Still in prison I believe.

4. delawarephilliesfan - May 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

In a lot of ways, it is complicated to say what his Phillies legacy shold be – Overall #1 who never made the All Star game…..had so many hot moments.

But last AB ever as a Phillie, and he gets the hit that produces the winning run (via a PR) in the deciding game of the World Series….what a way to go!

5. illcomm - May 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Craig. you always diss anything related to phillies. its kind of funny though that you write so mug about the Phils n not the braves. your just another sellout trying to drum up readings. and it works, so good for u.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM

6. rpink24 - May 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If you havent seen the Burrelled video, it’s real treat.

• sasquash20 - May 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

that is classic

• dexterismyhero - May 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

that is great…..did he do the Phanatic?

• rpink24 - May 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM

He Burrelled Phoebe Phanatic (Phanatic’s girlfriend)

• Utley's Hair - May 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

DUDE!!!!!!!!! Phoebe’s the Phanatic’s mom!!! Not his girlfriend.

• cleverbob - May 22, 2012 at 7:54 AM

There’s no age discrimination when it comes to getting Burrelled.

7. natstowngreg - May 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

In more than 150 games at RFK and Nats Park, I’ve heard a handful of visiting players (plus Tony LaRussa) booed by their own fans. Pat Burrell was one of them. Guess Phillies’ fans view of Burrell was, well, complicated.

• flyerscup2010 - May 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

He had some bad years, and then he had some good years. Mike Schmidt used to get booed too. Complicated, yes, but when it comes down to it Burrell is wildly popular here as much for his clutch hits as for his debauchery.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3081)