May 21, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
It went undisclosed throughout the spring and the first month and a half of the season, but the Rangers revealed Monday that left-hander Michael Kirkman was disagnosed with skin cancer back in January.
According to the release, which certainly must have come with Kirkman’s permission, the 25-year-0ld is currently undergoing regular treatment in Round Rock and is being continually monitored by his doctors in both Florida and Texas. The prognosis is for a full recovery.
Kirkman has been pitching despite the cancer, going 2-1 with a 6.68 ERA in six starts and five relief appearances for Triple-A Round Rock. He served stints in the majors with Texas in 2010 and ’11, going 1-1 with a 4.74 ERA in 29 relief appearances. Kirkman has the stuff to start in the majors if he can get better about pounding the strike zone. The Rangers will probably give him another look as a reliever later this year.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games