May 21, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Babe Ruth’s old jersey was auctioned off yesterday and sold for a staggering $4.4 million.
Craig Calcaterra wrote about the planned auction back in February, at which point various experts were predicting that the jersey would surpass the $2.8 million price for the famous Honus Wagner baseball card.
According to SCP Auctions the final price for the Ruth jersey was $4,415,658, which makes it the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia ever. It narrowly surpasses James Naismith’s founding rules of basketball, which sold for $4,338,500 in 2010.
Ruth wore the jersey while playing for the Yankees in 1920, the year after Boston sold him to New York. It had previously been displayed at the The Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore, but the Associated Press reports that Lelands.com is the new owner and plans to sell the jersey privately.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)