May 21, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
On the heels of Neftali Feliz‘s elbow injury, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this evening that they are considering alternatives for their rotation, including free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt.
“We’ll consider all our options, whatever’s best for the team going forward,” Daniels said. “He [Oswalt] is still out there. He hasn’t faced hitters yet. He’s not an immediate option.”
Scott Feldman will replace Feliz in the starting rotation on Wednesday against the Mariners, but the Rangers will re-evaluate things from there. Alexi Ogando enjoyed success as a starter last season, but he’s not stretched out and the team appears content using him in a late-inning role. At least right now. It’s unlikely the Rangers will turn to one of their top pitching prospects, including right-hander Neil Ramirez and left-hander Martin Perez.
The Rangers were one of three teams who reportedly watched Oswalt throw Friday in Mississippi, along with the Red Sox and Cardinals. Those are the same teams who were mentioned most often in connection with Oswalt over the winter. However, he’s likely about a month away from being major-league ready.
Oswalt, 34, posted a 3.69 ERA and 93/23 K/BB ratio over 23 starts with the Phillies last season while dealing with a back injury. He has never pitched for an American League team.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)