May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
As if losing a 13-inning game against the Padres on an error-induced walk-off run scored by a pitcher who pinch-hit wasn’t bad enough, the Angels also lost Vernon Wells and Ryan Langerhans to injuries.
Wells injured his thumb stealing second base and Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was wearing a cast after the game.
Langerhans left the game after slamming into the outfield wall, leading to some creative defensive alignments by the Angels, including Howie Kendrick in left field for what proved to be the game-losing play.
Langerhans was just called up from Triple-A and Wells hasn’t produced since joining the Angels last season, so the losses aren’t exactly team-crushing. However, recently at least Wells was showing some signs of life by hitting .273 with two homers and a .752 OPS in 16 games this month.
Torii Hunter also remains away from the team following his son’s arrest, but even without those three players around the Angels still have enough outfield depth to trot out Mike Trout, Peter Bourjos, and Mark Trumbo, which plenty of teams would love to have as their everyday trio.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)