May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
As if losing a 13-inning game against the Padres on an error-induced walk-off run scored by a pitcher who pinch-hit wasn’t bad enough, the Angels also lost Vernon Wells and Ryan Langerhans to injuries.
Wells injured his thumb stealing second base and Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was wearing a cast after the game.
Langerhans left the game after slamming into the outfield wall, leading to some creative defensive alignments by the Angels, including Howie Kendrick in left field for what proved to be the game-losing play.
Langerhans was just called up from Triple-A and Wells hasn’t produced since joining the Angels last season, so the losses aren’t exactly team-crushing. However, recently at least Wells was showing some signs of life by hitting .273 with two homers and a .752 OPS in 16 games this month.
Torii Hunter also remains away from the team following his son’s arrest, but even without those three players around the Angels still have enough outfield depth to trot out Mike Trout, Peter Bourjos, and Mark Trumbo, which plenty of teams would love to have as their everyday trio.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)