May 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
As if losing a 13-inning game against the Padres on an error-induced walk-off run scored by a pitcher who pinch-hit wasn’t bad enough, the Angels also lost Vernon Wells and Ryan Langerhans to injuries.
Wells injured his thumb stealing second base and Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he was wearing a cast after the game.
Langerhans left the game after slamming into the outfield wall, leading to some creative defensive alignments by the Angels, including Howie Kendrick in left field for what proved to be the game-losing play.
Langerhans was just called up from Triple-A and Wells hasn’t produced since joining the Angels last season, so the losses aren’t exactly team-crushing. However, recently at least Wells was showing some signs of life by hitting .273 with two homers and a .752 OPS in 16 games this month.
Torii Hunter also remains away from the team following his son’s arrest, but even without those three players around the Angels still have enough outfield depth to trot out Mike Trout, Peter Bourjos, and Mark Trumbo, which plenty of teams would love to have as their everyday trio.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)