May 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dodgers second baseman Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after suffering an injury while turning one at the bag on Friday night. He’ll miss several weeks, and that’s not good, but get this:
Mattingly said LAD doctor told him that if they had waited another 4-5 hours to make cut to relieve pressure, Ellis might have lost his leg.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) May 20, 2012
Whoa. Not the sort of thing you hear about very often in baseball circles.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)