May 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dodgers second baseman Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after suffering an injury while turning one at the bag on Friday night. He’ll miss several weeks, and that’s not good, but get this:
Mattingly said LAD doctor told him that if they had waited another 4-5 hours to make cut to relieve pressure, Ellis might have lost his leg.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) May 20, 2012
Whoa. Not the sort of thing you hear about very often in baseball circles.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?