May 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Dodgers second baseman Mark Ellis had to undergo an emergency fasciotomy Saturday to relieve pressure in his left leg after suffering an injury while turning one at the bag on Friday night. He’ll miss several weeks, and that’s not good, but get this:
Mattingly said LAD doctor told him that if they had waited another 4-5 hours to make cut to relieve pressure, Ellis might have lost his leg.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) May 20, 2012
Whoa. Not the sort of thing you hear about very often in baseball circles.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)