May 22, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Rivera is on blood thinners for the blood clot in his right calf, preventing doctors from repairing his ACL at the moment. It still could be a couple of months until the surgery, which could put his availability for the beginning of next spring in question. Fortunately, Rivera has never needed to get many innings in during March in order to get ready for the season.
In the meantime, Rivera is walking around without crutches. He is doing leg strengthening exercises as he prepares for the eventual surgery.
Rivera suffered a torn ACL on May 3 while shagging flyballs in the outfield prior to a game.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (188)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)