May 22, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Rivera is on blood thinners for the blood clot in his right calf, preventing doctors from repairing his ACL at the moment. It still could be a couple of months until the surgery, which could put his availability for the beginning of next spring in question. Fortunately, Rivera has never needed to get many innings in during March in order to get ready for the season.
In the meantime, Rivera is walking around without crutches. He is doing leg strengthening exercises as he prepares for the eventual surgery.
Rivera suffered a torn ACL on May 3 while shagging flyballs in the outfield prior to a game.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)