May 22, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
Brian Roberts hasn’t appeared in a major league game since last May 16. But that may soon change.
According to MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, Roberts is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday evening with the Double-A Bowie Baysox.
The Orioles want to let the veteran second baseman get through a week or two of games before beginning to talk about a return date for fear that he might suffer yet another setback in his year-long battle with post-concussion syndrome. But he’s currently on track for a mid-to-late June activation.
Roberts, 34, owns a .281/.353/.416 career batting line. He could certainly be of help to the first-place O’s.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)