May 22, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
Brian Roberts hasn’t appeared in a major league game since last May 16. But that may soon change.
According to MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, Roberts is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday evening with the Double-A Bowie Baysox.
The Orioles want to let the veteran second baseman get through a week or two of games before beginning to talk about a return date for fear that he might suffer yet another setback in his year-long battle with post-concussion syndrome. But he’s currently on track for a mid-to-late June activation.
Roberts, 34, owns a .281/.353/.416 career batting line. He could certainly be of help to the first-place O’s.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 15
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 36
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 63
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims