May 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Man, sometimes it’s like people don’t want to throw chum in the water and make life easy for hater bloggers like me. From Brookover’s latest:
Harper also showed some reverence toward the city and also displayed a keen sense of Philadelphia’s sports history by naming some old-time stars. He named this city as one of the places he was most looking forward to play.
“Definitely, coming in here and playing the Phillies who have been a great team and coming into a place that has a lot of history and a great organization,” Harper said. “You’re playing in a place where Mike Schmidt and guys like that played. It’s going to be a lot of fun in here. They have a great fan base and we’re going to come in here and try to prove some people wrong.”
That quote came before the fans (somewhat inexplicably) booed him every time he came to the plate last night. The fans obviously couldn’t have read his words beforehand, of course. I do wonder, however, if the tune will soon change given words like these and given the fact that, based on is demeanor and his performances against the Phillies so far, he has done nothing to earn the jeers.
(hat tip to ‘Cepts, who shall remain in commenter exile but, having been struck down by me, has become more powerful than I ever realized).
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)