May 22, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
It’s always cute when managers put fast guys with poor on base skills in the leadoff spot. Cute but dumb because, as the saying goes, you can’t steal first base. Joe Maddon realizes that because he’s putting Carlos Pena in the leadoff spot tonight:
Hitting Los leadoff. We’ve tried it with a few other guys and it worked. I want him to accept his walks, think of himself as a tablesetter.
— Joe Maddon (@RaysJoeMaddon) May 22, 2012
I like it. Even if he is a first baseman. Even if he is a power threat. He has a .352 lifetime OBP and it’s at .353 this season.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)