May 22, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Chris Getz aggravated his rib cage injury yesterday, so the Royals have placed the second baseman on the disabled list while calling up left-hander Will Smith from Triple-A to fill a long relief role.
Getz’s injury seemingly opens the door for the Royals to actually give 24-year-old prospect Johnny Giavotella regular action at second base, but then again they’ve turned down other chances to do that and manager Ned Yost might again decide 28-year-old career minor leaguer Irving Falu is somehow more deserving of the starts.
Smith was acquired from the Angels for Alberto Callaspo and Sean O’Sullivan in 2010 and the 22-year-old had a 4.01 ERA and 37/13 K/BB ratio in 52 innings as a starter at Triple-A. He may eventually get jiggy with it in the rotation if a spot starter is needed (also: sorry).
UPDATE: Yup, sure enough Falu is starting at second base tonight. Sigh.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)