May 22, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Chris Getz aggravated his rib cage injury yesterday, so the Royals have placed the second baseman on the disabled list while calling up left-hander Will Smith from Triple-A to fill a long relief role.
Getz’s injury seemingly opens the door for the Royals to actually give 24-year-old prospect Johnny Giavotella regular action at second base, but then again they’ve turned down other chances to do that and manager Ned Yost might again decide 28-year-old career minor leaguer Irving Falu is somehow more deserving of the starts.
Smith was acquired from the Angels for Alberto Callaspo and Sean O’Sullivan in 2010 and the 22-year-old had a 4.01 ERA and 37/13 K/BB ratio in 52 innings as a starter at Triple-A. He may eventually get jiggy with it in the rotation if a spot starter is needed (also: sorry).
UPDATE: Yup, sure enough Falu is starting at second base tonight. Sigh.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)