Giancarlo Stanton murdered a baseball and broke a scoreboard

May 22, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

Stanton home run

I mentioned this in the recaps, but this is worth its own post: Giancarlo Stanton’s homer off Jamie Moyer last night was something to behold.  For a couple of reasons.

First, it was a freaking shotgun blast. It left the bat at 122.4 miles per hour according to ESPN’s home run stats thingy. That’s the fastest since they began keeping track six years ago.

Second, it knocked out some lights on the scoreboard, as you can see in the pic to the right. Yes, it’s an LED thing and not old school light bulbs so it’s not exactly the same thing — it’ll probably be fixed with a simple reboot or something — but it’s still pretty impressive.

The official distance was 438 feet, but that’s just because it was stopped by an immovable object. One wonders what kind of distance the ball — which was still rising according to those who watched it — would have made had it been hit in a park with an open left field.

1. mdpickles - May 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

He hit that ball like it owed him money.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I will repeat what I wrote earlier under ATH: watch the swing. If it doesn’t terrify you, you could probably work for a bomb squad in Damascus.

2. Alex K - May 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Too bad he didn’t hit that ball in Coors. It might still be in flight.

• ajcardsfan - May 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Back in ’82, Giancarlo could hit a baseball over them mountains

• cidminion - May 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Thats only if the coach wouldve started him in the state title game

3. frankvzappa - May 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

“That’s the fastest since they been keeping track six years ago.”

That sentence really needs to replace “been” with “started.” Lest we all devolve into savages.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Sounds like you think you belong to a master race or something. Well, no big deal. Just go on apologizing for them.

Nyuknyuknyuk….

• frankvzappa - May 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Easy there, cochise. Clearly it was a valid suggestion, since a change was made. Probably not one that you can appreciate though, because clearly you have as little regard for the beauty of the english language as you do for the principles that made this country great. Uh oh, espousing something great about white culture makes me an anti-semitic racist, right?

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Sorry dimwit, you were the one who uncorked that idiotic “fascist apologist” rant. You’re just reaping what you’ve sewn here.

• frankvzappa - May 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM

If I accused people who embrace tyranny of being fascist apologists, I must have been right, and I stand by it. If you can’t see that this country has been taken over from the inside, then you, sir, are the dimwit. I imagine you worship Linkola even more than Obama.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Being as paranoid as a leafnosed bat with an earache and not very bright to begin with, not to mention having a non-working definition of fascism and a near-psychotic (you sound like you could use a little slack) working definition of “tyranny” that includes health insurance but shrugs off native American genocide, it is no surprise that you imagine wrong.

• frankvzappa - May 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Oh, so you must be native american and can’t get over a grudge held against people that lived hundreds of years ago? Or maybe you just watched Avatar or something…And you have the gall to imply that I am the racist? Gotcha. Finally figured it out. Your complete inability to use logic is now understood. I didn’t realize how much of a blatant racist against white people that you are. No wonder you love Obama.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM

It’s fun to kick back with a cranberry and soda to watch you deploy such juvenile rhetorical tropes to construct your straw men. I figure you must have constructed your demented view of the world, with its vast population of boogeymen and then/if analogies as convenient substitutes for the real world pretty much as clumsily. Carry on.

4. randall351 - May 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

A little bit of Willy Mo Pena in that homer.

Although it is clearly headed back down, not still rising when it hit the scoreboard, still I’m sure it would have been close to 500 ft had they not put that pesky scoreboard in the way.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Nope, it’s not headed down – what it’s actually doing is hooking a bit to the left. It hit that panel at a spot just barely behind the foul pole. I suspect that whatever bit of spin the bat, moving to the left, had put on it just barely caught up with the airflow around the ball as it passed the pole. I may have to propose this formally to The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

• natstowngreg - May 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Why am I not surprised that such a journal exists?

Even if you made that up, I’d still believe that such a journal could exist.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Sir, I give you: http://www.jir.com/

Been around for many, many years. I began my subscription when I was going to the University of Chicago, which means around 1982 or so. It’s a little flashier than it used to be – its old format was deliberately dowdy, meant as a goof on Nature and various other scientific journals. But the articles are still hilarious.

5. salvomania - May 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I read the first three words of the headline—”Giancarlo Stantion murdered”—and for a split second thought the worst.

6. jbartlett79 - May 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Those stats are from hit tracker online, which also publishes a “true distance” based on the speed trajectory of the ball that answers your “what if there wasn’t a scoreboard in the way?” question.

Survey says: 462.

Path: http://hittrackeronline.com/hrdetail.php?id=2012_1200
    Giancarlo’s page with stats: http://hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2012_1200&type=hitter

7. number42is1 - May 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I was able to find a video of the actual hit

• southcapitolstreet - May 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Moyer was on the mound for that one too

8. darthicarus - May 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

It seems fitting that Jamie Moyer was the pitcher. Can’t really say Stanton used the speed of the pitch to help get the ball out that fast.

• bravefan4life - May 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Has Moyer started whining that the runner at 2nd stole the sign yet?

9. bigleagues - May 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The most amazing part of that hit is that Stanton hit it off of the mega-soft tosser Moyer.

This would be less fantastical than if Giancarlo had squared that ball off, for example, an Aroldis Chapman fastball as the energy generated in the rebound effect between the pitch speed (97-100) and the bat speed would be greater than equally squaring the ball off of Moyer.

In other words, if Stanton had hit this ball off of Chapman, he may have put it through the scoreboard (hyperbolic, yes – but you get the point).

• foreverchipper10 - May 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You and your science! *waves fist in the air*

• bigleagues - May 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

LOL

Blame Thomas Dolby!

10. El Bravo - May 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

That is the baseball equivalent of shattering the backboard. Awesome.

11. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

The only unimpressive thing about that video? The Marlins’ broadcasters.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

We lost Boog Sciambi years ago and it ain’t been the same since. For my money, Joe Angel was the best of them all, and Dave O’Brien the biggest asshole.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ah, yes. I enjoyed Boog’s time as a Braves’ play-by-play man. While I don’t have the typical contempt for Chip Caray, I’d still quickly pull the trigger on a trade for Boog and a sideline-reporter-to-be-named-later.

• jimmymarlinsfan - May 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I like the marlins crew, they are knowledgable and mildly humorous and they don’t murder difficult names on a regular basis

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Which is probably something I should expect out of any professional broadcasting crew. They are unremarkable at their very best.

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Gotta back Jimmy here. Tommy Hutton definitely knows his stuff, and they can get emotional when the situation calls for it. Considering how many downright boring and even incompetent announcing teams there are out there, mere baseline competence – and I think our guys are a cut better than that – are rare, especially in small markets. The truly outstanding ones often get hired away by the larger market teams or national networks like ESPN or Faux.

12. hushbrother - May 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Giancarlo’s message to Moyer: “Welcome to the big leagues, rookie.”

13. flyinhighwithvick - May 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Imagine if he would have broke the scoreboard in Philly? Then Craig would say, well if they hadn’t booed Santa 40 years ago, the scoreboard wouldn’t have broke.

• cleverbob - May 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Do you have to insert our fair city into every single story now?

• Francisco (FC) - May 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

aww, it’s a light hearted jab, kind of like when similar comments about boston and new york come up. The more you react to this stuff the more it will appear. I stopped paying attention ages ago.

14. Chris St. John - May 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I created this thing called home run damage, and according to that, it’s #11 since 2006, mostly because the true distance isn’t crazy: http://stealofhome.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/home-run-damage-report-may-21st-2012/

• Old Gator - May 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I don’t know why you got those thumbs-down, Chris. I find what you’re trying to do with the dinger pretty interesting, at the very least. What are your top 10 home runs of all time, and why?

• Chris St. John - May 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Probably because I linked to my own site? Anyway, top 10 HRs are:

9/27/2008 Dunn, Adam
        10/2/2009 Balentien, Wladimir
        4/19/2006 Abercrombie, Reggie
        6/15/2006 Rodriguez, Alex
        7/30/2006 Guerrero, Vladimir
        4/20/2010 Reynolds, Mark
        9/19/2006 Holliday, Matt
        7/4/2008 Ramirez, Hanley
        7/10/2008 Dunn, Adam
        4/5/2010 Heyward, Jason

These are HRs that come off the bat quickly and go far. Speed is much more sensitive than distance, since the deviation is much smaller, which is what makes Stanton’s HR so crazy. His is the shortest HR in the top 22, but it ranks #11 because of how fast it went.

15. turnmymicup - May 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Stanton smashed that ball with no mercy. Go Marlins!

16. drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

“it’ll probably be fixed with a simple reboot or something”

Actually, LED screens have tiny, well, LEDs in them. He probably broke a ton of ‘em when the ball hit the scoreboard, and given the size of it I’d guess the repair will cost something like $100,000.

17. btwicey - May 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM