May 22, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Jeff Keppinger had done a nice job stepping into a bigger role in the Rays’ infield following Evan Longoria‘s hamstring injury, hitting .295 with a .728 OPS in 29 games, but now he’s joined Longoria on the disabled list.
Keppinger has a broken right big toe, which happened when he was sitting in the dugout during Saturday’s game and a Martin Prado foul ball struck his foot. That’s some kinda aim, Martin.
To fill Keppinger’s spot on the roster the Rays dealt with the Pirates for Drew Sutton, a journeyman infielder traded for the second time in 72 hours. Keppinger is expected to miss 3-4 weeks, so Sutton will be thrown into the pieced-together infield mix with Sean Rodriguez, Elliot Johnson, and Will Rhymes.
- No-hitter watch: Aaron Harang has no-hit the Mets through seven innings 0
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Yasiel Puig does all of the Yasiel Puig things in the same inning 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)