May 22, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Jeff Keppinger had done a nice job stepping into a bigger role in the Rays’ infield following Evan Longoria‘s hamstring injury, hitting .295 with a .728 OPS in 29 games, but now he’s joined Longoria on the disabled list.
Keppinger has a broken right big toe, which happened when he was sitting in the dugout during Saturday’s game and a Martin Prado foul ball struck his foot. That’s some kinda aim, Martin.
To fill Keppinger’s spot on the roster the Rays dealt with the Pirates for Drew Sutton, a journeyman infielder traded for the second time in 72 hours. Keppinger is expected to miss 3-4 weeks, so Sutton will be thrown into the pieced-together infield mix with Sean Rodriguez, Elliot Johnson, and Will Rhymes.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)