May 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is a daddy now. His wife gave birth to their first baby on Sunday. Congrats, Jimmy! And say goodbye to sleeping late, ever. On the bright side, when your daughter is eight years-old she will constantly tell you how lame you are and ask you what life was like in “the olden days.” Indeed, that look he has on his face in the pic to the right is the same look he’ll have on his face every single time his daughter says stuff that makes him feel older than hell.
Baseball, being more enlightened than, say, coal mines and law firms, has paternity leave. Rollins was granted it, which gives a player up to 72 hours away from the team. Catcher Erik Kratz has been recalled from Lehigh Valley for the time being. Since it’ll be a short stay, I hope Kratz can pocket as many of those free candy bars they have laying around the big league clubhouses while he can.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (190)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)