May 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is a daddy now. His wife gave birth to their first baby on Sunday. Congrats, Jimmy! And say goodbye to sleeping late, ever. On the bright side, when your daughter is eight years-old she will constantly tell you how lame you are and ask you what life was like in “the olden days.” Indeed, that look he has on his face in the pic to the right is the same look he’ll have on his face every single time his daughter says stuff that makes him feel older than hell.
Baseball, being more enlightened than, say, coal mines and law firms, has paternity leave. Rollins was granted it, which gives a player up to 72 hours away from the team. Catcher Erik Kratz has been recalled from Lehigh Valley for the time being. Since it’ll be a short stay, I hope Kratz can pocket as many of those free candy bars they have laying around the big league clubhouses while he can.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39