May 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Wang volunteered for relief duty if the Nationals felt he was a better fit there and indeed they’ve opted to stick with Ross Detwiler as their fifth starter. Wang has never been a full-time reliever, making just five of his 120 career appearances out of the bullpen, and he seems likely to be used in low-leverage situations.
To make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Wang the Nationals will place reliever Ryan Mattheus on the DL with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, which has apparently been bothering him for weeks despite a 2.25 ERA in 20 innings this season.
Mattheus told Zuckerman that he’s hoping to return after the minimum 15-day DL stint and by then the Nationals should have a much clearer idea of whether Wang can contribute as a reliever.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 2
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)