May 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Wang volunteered for relief duty if the Nationals felt he was a better fit there and indeed they’ve opted to stick with Ross Detwiler as their fifth starter. Wang has never been a full-time reliever, making just five of his 120 career appearances out of the bullpen, and he seems likely to be used in low-leverage situations.
To make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Wang the Nationals will place reliever Ryan Mattheus on the DL with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, which has apparently been bothering him for weeks despite a 2.25 ERA in 20 innings this season.
Mattheus told Zuckerman that he’s hoping to return after the minimum 15-day DL stint and by then the Nationals should have a much clearer idea of whether Wang can contribute as a reliever.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)