May 22, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Chicago just announced the Hudson signing and, as expected, placed Morel on the disabled list.
And not only that, with third baseman Brent Morel likely headed to the disabled list with a back injury Hudson is expected to see regular starts at third base, where he’s never played in 11 seasons. In fact, the 34-year-old Hudson has never played an inning anywhere other than second base.
San Diego is on the hook for the remaining $6 million or so on Hudson’s two-year, $11.5 million contract, so it’s a low-risk move for Chicago. Hudson hit just .238 with a .657 OPS in 154 total games for the Padres, but was a solid all-around player for the Twins as recently as 2010 and won’t have to hit much to be an upgrade over Morel offensively.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)